Staging Platform Height

Discussions on race planning, preparations and how to run a "fair" and fun race.
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Staging Platform Height

Post by Stan Pope »

Someone asked how high our staging platforms are ... you know, the platforms that our owner/drivers stand on to stage their cars at the starting line. I could only answer with estimation at the time because the platforms were stored away.

I pulled one platform to loan to a local pack for their race ... and while it was out, I measured the height: 19 1/2". Other lesser heights would work as well, and it is pretty high for a Webelos scout! The tracks in use are typical dimensions of Piantedosi wood 32'.

The key is to have the standing scout's elbows easily clear the back lip of the track. None of our scouts need to stand on tiptoe to do that with this platform.

I also took some fresh pics of the reworked platforms to replace the obsolete pix on my website. Primary change was to extend the feet out to give better clearances for the step.
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
pwdarchitect
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Staging Platform Height

Post by pwdarchitect »

Stan,

I like the platform you designed. The only thing that I would change is the step height and the tread depth. Typical residential step height is around 8" max. and tread depth is around 10"-12". I know this is to be used as a temporary structure but safety should also come into play too.

If I were to make a platform similar to this, I would use a 2"x8" or a 2"x10" for the tread and limit the maximum step rise (vertical distance between the steps) to 8" maximum even if it would mean adding in another stair tread. A removable handrail at the steps would help to ensure that a scout doesn't fall going up or down.

Food for thought.

J