District registration

Discussions on race planning, preparations and how to run a "fair" and fun race.
doct1010
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

District registration

Post by doct1010 »

Since our DE has insisted this be an all comers event I anticipate a registration nightmare. We do not have firm attendance comittments in advance, invitees have been told they can regiter and pay fee at event! Much to my chagrin. We run a more organized event at the pack level! But I digress.

We need to get peole registered, entered into software data base, assign numbers and do an inspection quickly as possible. We anticipate 150 to possibly 300 could race. Our pack will be done in advance that only leaves 100 to 250.

For our pack race all registration is done in advance, names are entered night before. (an occasional late comer is easily accomodated) Race day all we need to do is inspect and assign numbers that have already been generated by software.
Help! Any ideas on how to run this efficiently as possible.
BigDozer66
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: District registration

Post by BigDozer66 »

I would think a line of tables (assembly line like) staffed with volunteers would be the only way to get it finished in a timely manner.

Have the Registration/Data Entry table first to register, take entry fees, enter data, assign numbers and so forth. You could have forms for them to fill out with Name, Rank, Serial # (Pack # :D ) etc. on it before they got to the Data Entry table. 8)

Then the inspection table with one weighing & one checking cars for rules violations.

I would not want more than one person weighing them, unless you only used one scale, for integrity sake. You wouldn't want someone to say "they cheated because so & so didn't weigh it correctly" or something like that. :(

I might have a brain storm later and think of other things so I reserve the right the recall this post. :lol:

I wish you well in the daunting (but certainly doable!) task.

Lynn
"one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

Cubmaster and AWANA Game Director
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

It may be an interesting day. May few days in your future be that "interesting."

The transition from "registering" to "racing" needs to be well managed. Assume you are running computer controlled chart racing, and you plan 15 minutes between close of registration and start of racing. What do you do if someone arrives 15 minutes before registration closes and takes 45 minutes to get through inspection because of whatever corrections need to be done? Do they take "losses" for those rounds that they miss? Or do you make the other 299 racers (and their families) wait for the 30 minutes it takes that problem car to be ready? What do you do with the family that has driven 30 miles to an unfamiliar location, gotten lost along the way and has arrived 15 minutes after registration closes? Tough choices!

By now, the time schedule has probably been communicated all over the district, so you really have to stay pretty close to that schedule and adjust method so that the schedule works. Running way off schedule will create dissatisfaction with the event and hurt future participation. It is probably too late to decide to run "flights" or subsets of the participants to select finalists who come back later to compete.

You need to assess your software's capability to deal with last minute or late additions. Can you leave some "unassigned" numbers in the chart to assign to those who are not "race ready" when racing begins? Or will the software allow them to be added after racing begins?

Or your race method can be decoupled from your registration by using a method such "No-Chart Multiple Elimination". Late arrivals get a loss for rounds that they have missed, but are still in line for the top spot if their car is good enough. (Proportionate penalty!)

So, talk some more about the time-line, about the race method committments, etc. Then we can get "down and dirty" with you and help identify and deal with specific obstacles.
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
CuriousGeorge
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by CuriousGeorge »

:shock: :doh: :wall: :shake:
doct1010 wrote:Since our DE has insisted this be an all comers event I anticipate a registration nightmare. We do not have firm attendance comittments in advance, invitees have been told they can regiter and pay fee at event! Much to my chagrin. We run a more organized event at the pack level!

I don't know about anyone else, but if my D.E. pulled that...... I'd make sure he was in charge of the trophies and patches (I'd also tell him good luck). I would also insist that he's going to be there every step of the way and be the one making the apologies. What a nightmare.
CuriousGeorge
"They say you learn by your mistakes, in that case I must be a genius."
doct1010
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by doct1010 »

Thank you all for the insights.

I plan to close registration and strictly enforce it! I'm sorry. Yes Stan the time line has been well advertised. I would prefer to AVOID situations you articulate. We will be using GranPrix software. Pack level a tardy resitrant is easily handled, event this size is another issue. I would prefer a schedule that allows maximum racing, however this will be determined by final numbers, some adjustment may be required.

Logisticly a series of tables should work well, pre-planning as much as possible. My concern is the time required to register, inspect and then get everyone in software.

I/we are getting VERY little help from district, in essence this is MY baby so to speak. They have informed me they prefer to run this cash neutral. So I don't expect any financial help either! Thus far all expenses have been out of pocket. (mine) Fortunately I am able to round up qualified, experienced volunteers from our pack. Most ground work has already been laid. Venue booked, trophies and awards ordered, tracks, software and operators in line, volunteers and concession done, PA, music, projector and screen in place. There is probably several more items my list is not at fingertips.
Cory
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Cory »

BigDozer66 wrote:You could have forms for them to fill out with Name, Rank, Serial # (Pack # :D ) etc. on it before they got to the Data Entry table. 8)
I would strongly echo this sentiment. Extracting information orally is time-consuming and sometimes difficult.

Be sure that it is clear that they must print neatly on the forms.
doct1010
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by doct1010 »

CuriousGeorge wrote::shock: :doh: :wall: :shake:
doct1010 wrote:Since our DE has insisted this be an all comers event I anticipate a registration nightmare. We do not have firm attendance comittments in advance, invitees have been told they can regiter and pay fee at event! Much to my chagrin. We run a more organized event at the pack level!

I don't know about anyone else, but if my D.E. pulled that...... I'd make sure he was in charge of the trophies and patches (I'd also tell him good luck). I would also insist that he's going to be there every step of the way and be the one making the apologies. What a nightmare.
George I hear ya! This is an inaugural event to boot! You would think the district would take an avid interest to insure it went off well and set a precedent by which subsequent events could follow. Hands on? Seems more like Hands OFF and let the donkey carry the load.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

doct1010 wrote:I plan to close registration and strictly enforce it! I'm sorry. Yes Stan the time line has been well advertised. I would prefer to AVOID situations you articulate. We will be using GranPrix software. Pack level a tardy resitrant is easily handled, event this size is another issue. I would prefer a schedule that allows maximum racing, however this will be determined by final numbers, some adjustment may be required.

Logisticly a series of tables should work well, pre-planning as much as possible. My concern is the time required to register, inspect and then get everyone in software.
Yuck! I sympathize greatly.

One thing that may help you is to run a computer at registration. You can either use GPRM to register racers or simply an Excel spreadsheet. Once check-in is complete, transfer the GPRM data file or CSV file (as applicable) over to the race computer and then generate your schedule. A USB thumb drive is good for this. This way you can get the race computer setup and tested while registration is going on. Getting the race computer updated with the roster will also be faster.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
doct1010
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by doct1010 »

Cory wrote:
BigDozer66 wrote:You could have forms for them to fill out with Name, Rank, Serial # (Pack # :D ) etc. on it before they got to the Data Entry table. 8)
I would strongly echo this sentiment. Extracting information orally is time-consuming and sometimes difficult.

Be sure that it is clear that they must print neatly on the forms.
Thanks Cory, will do.
doct1010
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by doct1010 »

Thanks Randy. Precisely what we do in ADVANCE at pack level. Laptop at reg table good idea, thanks again.
pwdarchitect
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by pwdarchitect »

"Open" District racing is also done where my son was a cub. The way it was set up was that they had entered data into GPRM for cars like 1 thru 250. Each car was then given a number when registered. The races were held at a given start time although some cars were still registering. There was not awards based on rank just 6 overall awards and no "design" competition. They were racing on a 6 lane track and had 18 cars per heat such that each car would get one run in each lane and the car with the lowest average time advanced to a finals race. Sometimes at the District race there were 18 cars in the finals sometimes there were less depending on the number of heats. This district was and is rather different in that they allow a cub to enter as many cars as the cub had been in scouts, i.e. if a tiger then one car, if a Web II then 5 cars. The rule that they have in place is that only one car per scout may be in the "Finals". One other thing, was that if your car was entered into heat #1 and it was beat out by another car but the car finished a fast 2nd place, based on time, then the cub was allowed to re-enter the car in another heat. Registration was kept open with the numbering system that way a cub could come later in the morning if need be. The races were held from 9:00 am check-in time with a 10:00 am race start time until 3:00 p.m. Finals were started at 3:15 pm. I think.

I like Randy idea of entering the registration info into a spreadsheet and then using a cross-referencing system to get who built the cars, what rank they were, etc from the spreadheet rather than from GPRM. GPRM would just be used to schedule and race based on a car's registration number.

Jim
Last edited by pwdarchitect on Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

This along with a separate registration computer at the final check-in check point would be a good combination. I agree with Cory that verbal extracting information can take more time. Is is also prone to more error.
Randy Lisano

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

pwdarchitect wrote:I like Randy idea of entering the registration info into a spreadsheet and then using a cross-referencing system to get who built the cars, what rank they were, etc from the spreadheet rather than from GPRM. GPRM would just be used to schedule and race based on a car's registration number.
No cross reference is needed. The spreadsheet will contain all of the needed information to register each racer in GPRM. From there, GPRM can build the race schedules with those racers.

The spreadsheet, to be compatible with GPRM, would need to contain the following columns (in the order listed):
Last Name
First Name
Group
Subgroup (if used, if not then leave blank)
Car Number (if left blank then GPRM will assign)
Car Name (if desired, if not then leave blank)
Passed Inspection (Yes or No)

Once registration is complete, save this as a CSV (comma separated) file. Then you can quickly import this into GPRM using the Import button on the Registration tab of the main screen.

Sample CSV files are provided in the Data directory of GPRM. These can easily be opened in Excel and other spreadsheet programs.
Randy Lisano