Involving The Boys

Discussions on race planning, preparations and how to run a "fair" and fun race.
Old Guy Chuck
Apprentice
Apprentice

Involving The Boys

Post by Old Guy Chuck »

Our group runs 20-25 derbies a year for packs in our area. We use an elevated track which requires scaffolding for the car loader. We want to involve the boys more but are struggling as to how to do it. Our discussions as a group include the following ideas:

- We have learned that we really lose the boys after more than an hour of racing.

- We wanted to avoid some typical delays we have seen in packs due to disorganization, excessive down time, poor planning etc.

- We wanted to free the pack to enjoy the race rather than be overwhelmed by it.

- We wanted to be prepared for virtually every kind of failure possible in a race with back up plans and equipment to keep down time at a minimum.

- For the above reasons our group has "Run" the race for the packs from setup to pack up including, pre-show, announcing, car sorting & loading, running the race, photographing their cars & presenting a slide show, playing the music and even announcing the awards if they wish. We always let the pack decide what they want us to do, but most are very happy to let us run the show.

That being said we would still like to get boys more involved but are concerned about safety and other issues.

I'm very open to comments from the experts here.

If you want a feel fro what we do, we have pictures and audio on our website:

http://www.abunchofoldguysandatrack.com

Chuck Sylvester
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Involving The Boys

Post by Stan Pope »

For starters, if they are watching you run their cars, of course they lose interest! You race your cars; let them race their own! Get with me via email if you want to discuss the related issues and how to deal with them.
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
BigDozer66
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by BigDozer66 »

I would like to first say welcome to Derby Talk! :)

What is the reasoning behind raising the track up so much on the starting end? :?:

I could see where having someone (professional?) to come in and do a lot of the work would be desirable to many.
I could also see where it would be a disadvantage to do it that way because the Pack doesn't need as much help. The people that would have volunteered to help are then robbed of a great sense of accomplishment when they finish. :|

The harder the task the greater the potential reward. :mrgreen:

Lynn
"one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

Cubmaster and AWANA Game Director
Old Guy Chuck
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Old Guy Chuck »

We elevate the track on sawhorses to improve viewing. We have pictures on our website if you want to see what I mean.

Chuck Sylvester
PWD_addict
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by PWD_addict »

Chuck--
What type/length of track is it? Cool idea and nice website, BTW.
--Dave
Old Guy Chuck
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Old Guy Chuck »

The track is a milled solid aluminum, anodized with a teflon coating. It is modular in length. It can be run as 36', 48', or 60'. To my knowledge we have never run 60' and have only run 36' once when we were pinched for space. Our usual 48' configuration measures 45' 10" from starting line to finish line.

Chuck Sylvester
Mr. Slick
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Mr. Slick »

Chuck - don't worry about the side of the house that has the opinion that the racers need to stage their own cars. From what I have noticed in the upper mid-west is that there are more groups that have an adult do the staging for several reasons.

To eliminate the slump in enthusiasm after an hour -- common to most meetings, not just PWD Racing -- take a break for 10 or 15 minutes -- encourage the people to get up and stretch their legs, eat a hot dog, whatever.

See your local Woodbadge course for details, I believe meeting enthusiasm is covered in "Controlling Group Performance" . . .

Great web site and FANTASTIC service to others!
Mr. Slick says: Honey, I am doing this for the kids, not myself.
Darin McGrew
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Darin McGrew »

Old Guy Chuck wrote:That being said we would still like to get boys more involved but are concerned about safety and other issues.
Our track is also elevated too much for the kids to stage their own cars. Here are some things we do:
  • We have the kids whose cars are racing sit in four designated seats at the finish-line end of the track. After the race, they take their cars back to the starting-gate end of the track.
  • The MC has a different kid say "Ready, Set, Go!" for each race.
  • The MC prepares assorted derby-related trivia, riddles, jokes, etc. for the inevitable brief delays. And if we go several races without a delay, then it's time for a break anyway.
  • The MC occasionally conducts impromptu interviews with kids who built particularly unusual cars.
HTH, and all that.
Old Guy Chuck
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Old Guy Chuck »

Great ideas so far. Any other input from folks as to how they involve the boys at their race? Darin's post reminded me that we used to interview the top two place finishers from each division after the race, but somehow quit doing that a couple of years back.

On a side note, I have tried a "Fan In The Stands" segment of our Radio RACE show, with mixed results. People are more mic shy than I anticipated. The goal was to get a few dad's to reminisce about their memories of derbies. I haven't given up on the idea, I just need to get better at drawing them out and asking the right questions.

Chuck Sylvester
BigDozer66
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by BigDozer66 »

Old Guy Chuck wrote: On a side note, I have tried a "Fan In The Stands" segment of our Radio RACE show, with mixed results. People are more mic shy than I anticipated.
Chuck Sylvester
Y'all ain't got many Rednecks up thar do ya? :mrgreen:

Most would be more than happy to give you an interview. :lol:

Lynn
"one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

Cubmaster and AWANA Game Director