In need of sample donation request letters...

Discussions on race planning, preparations and how to run a "fair" and fun race.
CuriousGeorge
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

In need of sample donation request letters...

Post by CuriousGeorge »

I am in charge of trophies and patches for an upcoming district race and we are in need of some donations. I don't have a problem asking for donations, but I am not very good with words. If anyone has a donations request letter that they hand out or mail pertaining to the pinewood derby, I would greatly appreciate a copy of it. Or if anyone has any suggestions as to any good points that I should include in the letter, I would appreciate hearing them. I plan on handing the letters out in person. Please feel free to email me any letters you may use in order to subsidize funds for your pinewood derby trophies and patches.
CuriousGeorge
"They say you learn by your mistakes, in that case I must be a genius."
zackygrampa
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: In need of sample donation request letters...

Post by zackygrampa »

Successful language humanizes the need and involves the potential donor. For example- "Please help these kids make it across the finish line" or "You can help a child learn about the value of effort and the great satisfaction of seeing his or her work roll toward that finish line".

Another fundraising gotta-do is be specific in what you are asking for and link the donation to a tangible - i.e., "your donation of $5 will buy a trophy that will be in a place of honor in a child"s room for years to come" or " your donation of $10 will send 20 children home with a special patch to help them remember this special day".

I know deep down, we all hate those "feed the children" commercials where the blonde from All In the Family asks for 'Just $20 a month to feed little Ngreznub and his whole family" (actually if she would skip a few meals, you could feed a whole village....). Anyway, those commercials really work
CuriousGeorge
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: In need of sample donation request letters...

Post by CuriousGeorge »

I found out that nothing beats a good face to face when asking for donations. I went to 6 places (that I do business with regularly) and got 6 donations. At the race I had the kids all sign a thank-you letter I had prepared. I made high quality color copies of it and put them in a picture frame. I also taped a copy of the newspaper article (made the front page) on the back of the frame. Then I handed the 6 frames out with a sincere thank-you to the business owners. 5 out of 6 told me to come see them again next year without me even asking, the 6th seemed very pleased (I didn't ask him about next year). They will also be mentioned in the council wide newsletter.

All in all it was not near as difficult as I thought it would be.
CuriousGeorge
"They say you learn by your mistakes, in that case I must be a genius."