Open class for adults and siblings

Discussions on race planning, preparations and how to run a "fair" and fun race.
tmbnorm
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Open class for adults and siblings

Post by tmbnorm »

Several of our Dad's want to have an open class race next year.

I have seen discussion about open class ideas before, but most get to talking about springs or motors. I want to keep it simple.
I do not want to get into very heavy cars. I do not want to damage the stop section.

I want to keep the rules fairly simple, but leave some room for the imagination.

What are you ideas about this? It is basically our standard rules, with a few twists.

1. Official BSA axles and wheels only, with any modifications.
2. No wheel bearings.
3. Dry lubricant only.
4. Wheel base may be extended or shortened.
5. Any wood may be used, but the wood must be the main body structure.
The axles must go into wood.
6. 7.5" length maximum.
7. 7.5 oz maximum.
8. clearance so as to not touch the track.

Anything else to make the race fun, but not damage the track?
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Open class for adults and siblings

Post by Stan Pope »

Wheels and axles can be the most fun to play with. You can open 'em up to homemade wheels and axles and see some really interesting stuff. I've made wheels from PC board (a little heavy) and am now making some from poker chips (much lighter)!
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
tmbnorm
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by tmbnorm »

Everyone who has talked about this has agreed to the BSA axles and wheels. You can modify them anyway that you like.

I think this keep people from trying to purchase some expensive custom parts.

I will keep that in mind though.
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

Yes! It should be "about making," not "about buying." Anyone who can modify a BSA wheel and axle to get good performance can make their own great wheel from a poker chip. So maybe the rule should relate to "purchased finished" components rather than what it is made from? For instance, you can buy very good low inertia wheels that were once BSA wheels.
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
Go Bubba Go
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Go Bubba Go »

I would expand number 8 to include the usual verbiage about not interfering with other cars (and finish line timer "overpass").

If you want them to be gravity powered only, I would specify as such.

Otherwise seems OK to me.

Good luck!!!
"Who's Grandpa's neighbor?"... Phil Davis, Down and Derby
doct1010
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by doct1010 »

Gravity power must be clearly stated unless you will allow rockets. Why dry lube and BSA wheels? You can become quite creative if you allow custom wheels and axles.
Teeeman
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Teeeman »

How about a 4 wheel class, a 3wheel class, and a 2 wheel class?

I would NOT restrict lubes... that is a big thing on here to study... Nyoil, Krytox and more...

-Terry
"I dunno..." - Uncle Eddie, Christmas Vacation
Darin McGrew
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Darin McGrew »

tmbnorm wrote:What are you ideas about this?
We considered switching our All Comers race to an Open/Unlimited race, and decided against it. Part of our decision was based on sending the message that everyone has to follow the same rules.
tmbnorm wrote:1. Official BSA axles and wheels only, with any modifications.
Can you buy machined BSA wheels and axles, or do you have to make the modifications yourself?
tmbnorm wrote:3. Dry lubricant only.
I agree with the others who asked why you'd restrict the lubricant for an open race. We don't restrict the lubricant for our regular race. For an open race, it makes even less sense to me. Experimenting with different lubricants is one of the most accessible speed techniques.
tmbnorm wrote:Anything else to make the race fun, but not damage the track?
As someone else pointed out, you should specify that the design must not interfere with or damage the other cars, the track, the starting gate, or the finish gate.
tmbnorm
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by tmbnorm »

I am not oppossed to wet lubricants. Our Pack and district rules are dry only. I think that is to keep the track from getting slick.

We want to keep the rules similar to the pack rules, but allow a little freedom. A heavier car and modifications to the wheels and axles allows that.

"Can you buy machined BSA wheels and axles, or do you have to make the modifications yourself? "

I am not sure how we would police this.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

tmbnorm wrote:I am not oppossed to wet lubricants. Our Pack and district rules are dry only. I think that is to keep the track from getting slick.
But for an open division race that can be loosened, as long as the lube is not dripping from the car or on the wheels. If excessive, then the car is not checked in until the excess is wiped off.

BTW - I think that graphite is the messiest lube around, as evident by the gobs of it that can be wiped off the track after the race.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.