A question of Appearance

Discussions on race planning, preparations and how to run a "fair" and fun race.
pack529holycross
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

A question of Appearance

Post by pack529holycross »

Although I have not officially decided if we are going to invite non-scouts and their families to be specatators at our Derby ( recruiting is a full time thing ), I nonetheless have to ask for some feedback on the "expectations" you are placing on your Scouts and Adult Leaders when it comes to dress code for the Derby Event... it's an event/activity, which tends to open up the probability that Class B shirts would be appropriate, although a higher percentage of boys would have the Class A uniforms already. What experience can I learn from within this group of leaders on DerbyTalk.

Do you "require" a uniform in order to race?
Do you "require" Class A, Class B, or any unform they choose?
Do you have your "race crew" wear designated "pitcrew" shirts?

Thank you in advance for all of your feedback

Nicholas
Pinewood Daddy
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: A question of Appearance

Post by Pinewood Daddy »

Our race is an official Pack event. Families are always welcome. We do invite some former Pack scouts (now in Boy Scouts) to help at the event. Class A is required but not enforced. There is no uniform requirement to race. Why spend the Pack's money on Pit Crew shirts used one once per year?? Most, if not all, of the pit crew will be adult leaders so they'll be wearing their uniforms.
Go Bubba Go
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Go Bubba Go »

Pinewood Daddy wrote:Our race is an official Pack event. Families are always welcome. We do invite some former Pack scouts (now in Boy Scouts) to help at the event. Class A is required but not enforced. There is no uniform requirement to race. Why spend the Pack's money on Pit Crew shirts used one once per year?? Most, if not all, of the pit crew will be adult leaders so they'll be wearing their uniforms.
We pretty much mirror the reply above.

Our Friday night Test and Tune / Open Class is a casual event with no uniform expectations.

Saturday's Pack race is a Pack event. Class A is required but not enforced for both Scouts and Adult Leaders. Pit Crew is mostly adult leaders who will be in their uniforms. The one non-leader (for now :wink: ) Pit Crew member will be in "dress casual". I did buy some PWD Derby patches for the Pit Crew members to wear on their right pockets.

Bubba
"Who's Grandpa's neighbor?"... Phil Davis, Down and Derby
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

Good comments!

As a Cubmaster, etc, I would never deny scouting participation because a family could (or would) not fix the youngster up with a uniform. We did help some by recycling uniforms as well as rewarding those who brought in recycled uniforms from area thrift shops.

None-the-less, the uniform is part of the method for delivering good scouting to youngsters, and we encourage its use. But "neat" (shoes tied, shirt tucked in, hair more-or-less combed...) counted too.

Adult volunteers, even those who only volunteer on race day, got the same respectful treatment!
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
pack529holycross
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by pack529holycross »

One thing I found somewhere ( I say that because I cannot take original credit for it ) was to buy checkered material ( JoAnns fabrics sells it for about $4 a yard, 45" roll ) cut each square diagonally into 4 triangles, and let the boys and adults wear "Racerchiefs" on race day with whatever uniform they wear. Quick cheap easy.

UPDATE - currently its listed at about $2.09 a yard:

Black/White Racing Check
SKU# CID J 3763158
Be the first to rate this product!
Sale Price: $2.09
Regular Price: $2.99
Yard(s)
For the racing enthusiast! Great for bedding, or decorating. Create a racing theme in your young man's bedroom, or the basement!
50% Polyester, 50% Cotton
Machine Wash Warm, No Chlorine Bleach, Tumble Dry, Remove Promptly
45 Inches Wide
Sold in whole Yd. increments. 12 Yd. bolt
Made in USA

For the racing enthusiast! Great for bedding, or decorating. Create a racing theme in your young man's bedroom, or the basement!
50% Polyester, 50% Cotton
Machine Wash Warm, No Chlorine Bleach, Tumble Dry, Remove Promptly
45 Inches Wide
Sold in whole Yd. increments. 12 Yd. bolt
Made in USA
Go Bubba Go
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Go Bubba Go »

pack529holycross wrote:One thing I found somewhere ( I say that because I cannot take original credit for it ) was to buy checkered material ( JoAnns fabrics sells it for about $4 a yard, 45" roll ) cut each square diagonally into 4 triangles, and let the boys and adults wear "Racerchiefs" on race day with whatever uniform they wear. Quick cheap easy.
Great idea. Our Council PWD leaders wear a similar "Racerchief" during the Council event, along with some Grand Prix car shaped tie slides (homemade ceramic of some sort). I haven't gotten my stuff together yet to apply this for our Pack races.

For the "officials", I have also seen lanyards worn with a "ID Card" indicating the official's name and position.

Bubba
"Who's Grandpa's neighbor?"... Phil Davis, Down and Derby