Conducting a Trials Night - The Race Before The Race?

Discussions on race planning, preparations and how to run a "fair" and fun race.
ExtremePWD
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Conducting a Trials Night - The Race Before The Race?

Post by ExtremePWD »

Our pack conducts a "trials" night one week ahead of the final race. In past years we have not had a timer so it was difficult to judge the competition if you were not running side by side. This year we have a timer and the speeds of the cars could become common knowledge in advance of the race. One school of thought is not to allow heads up racing between two scouts in the same den to save the suspense for race night. Just tracking times could have the same effect as allowing heads up racing at the trials. Another school of thought is to publish the times so that boys know where they stand and then they would have a week to improve their cars. I imagine this would raise the average performance level, which is OK and could create closer racing, but it could also discourage scouts that have no idea how to further improve their cars and they know they are relatively slow. Please share your experiences and recommendations.
Da Graphite Kid
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Conducting a Trials Night - The Race Before The Race?

Post by Da Graphite Kid »

ExtremePWD,
We have never had a trials night but I have wished we did. If we could find someone to let us use their facility two weekends in a row than this would be a done deal for next year.

For rules, first I would not allow head-to-head racing. One Cub would have the track for three runs (3 lane track) all to themselves. This way they can race against their own pwd cars - possibly from the year before - to gauge any improvement. If they built more than one pwd car, it could be an opportunity to pick the fastest of the bunch. Since we will have a timer on the track this year, heat times could be recorded and compared. To keep this from happening, we would have to design a hood to fit over the timer display. The heat times could than be read directly from the computer.

Da Graphite Kid
TDean
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by TDean »

As I mentioned in another thread -- we are lucky enough to have our track setup for a couple weeks. :mrgreen: We have an "Open Racing" day, where you can test your car. It goes on for several hours and is all very informal. No official times are recorded, but you can get a decent idea of how well your car is doing or if it needs work -- and weigh your car on the official scale. The hard part is convincing the boys NOT to race their cars too much -- they'd race em til the wheels wore off if we let them -- and each time down the track has potential to loosen axles, upset alignment, drop the car -- whatever! :wall:
As for head-to-head racing -- I have no problem with that, and don't know how we'd prevent it (it's kind of a first come -- first served, get in line thing). And since a lot can happen between testing and racing -- let em race!
Just my 2 cents...
TDean
Whistler
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by Whistler »

We have our trial night the day before the race, to give the boys something to do during check in, other than hot glue on more weight, or to drill out too much. We don't put the timer on until after the boys are done, as it gets pretty wild at times, and we dont' want to destroy the equipment. I think the boys enjoy it as much, if not more, than the actual race.

I've been lobbying to get the boys to participate more in the race day for that very reason (they are enthusiastic spectators, but the race committee stages and retrieves the cars - tradition and a reluctance to experience the infighting and chaos of 50 boys running around with cars in a very small room I guess).

Of course I just found out that we have lost our race site, with a week and a half to go before race day! Things will have to change.

Any tips on locating an alternate site at short notice?
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

We do a "Time Trials" the night before the race. No actual timing is done and there is no head-to-head competition, since we don't want someone discouraged even before the race starts. They get two runs to test out their cars. We also provide a weigh scale, drill press and other stuff to make their final weight adjustments. We do also try to get some of the cars checked in that night so there are not so many to do on race day.
Whistler wrote:Of course I just found out that we have lost our race site, with a week and a half to go before race day! Things will have to change.

Any tips on locating an alternate site at short notice?
You can try your local churches. You can use a sanctuary or fellowship hall for the race. Often they have a sound system and maybe even projection system that you can take advantage of.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
TurtlePowered
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by TurtlePowered »

We have a weight in and kids can run there cars but no official times are posted.
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

I strongly recommend prohibiting races between competitors and timed runs. This is a time to make sure that there are not "stoppers", not to fine tune the car to the track.

Decide on a maximum number of runs and issue tickets. Stick to your guns ... no ticket, no run.

Why?

This is not the time to find the "fastest car". Don't take away from the excitement of race day.

Unrestrained, most of the youngsters will "race the wheels off." Every run is a risk, and the wheels _do_ wear out.
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
Darin McGrew
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Darin McGrew »

We don't have our track set up until the day of the derby. There are too many other groups using the church facilities for us to set up in the fellowship hall for more than about 12 hours.

But when we rebuilt our track, we kept one section of the old track (which has the same cross section as our new track) for use during workshops. It can't be used for a full test run, but it is useful to test basic fit.
Rainman
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Rainman »

Our Pack did not have a "warm up" or testing session this year because our Race official deemed it was not needed. (Much to my chagrin)

Of the 45 cars entered this year, 29 required changes either to be legal, or to adust weight. It was mostly weight. So having the "offical" scales at the test session will reduce the race night adjustments.

Next year we'll have a testing session 1 to 2 weeks before the actual race. To give kids ample time to make their speed/weight adjustments. We plan on having extra weight, "offical scales" and plenty of speed tips at the testing session.

As far as head to head competion and possibly taking away from the actual derby night. I'm of the opposite opinon, I feel it will add to the fun. Because the slower cars will be anxious to see if they can catch the faster cars, and the faster cars will be just as anxious to see if they should have made changes or made the correct changes. Even NASCAR has testing/qualifying and it does not detract from the actual race.

Just my 1/2 cents worth.
Part of Richmond KY Pack 376. Midland Trail District.
doct1010
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by doct1010 »

I am in agreement with the majority on this one. We do a test and tune night before. Turn OFF the timer. The intention in our pack is to insure cars will finish, it is not an "unofficial" race. It is difficult to restrain an ambitious cub, but try to avoid heads-up racing, save it for the big dance.
nerangers
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by nerangers »

From Saturday to Saturday We do three events around out Pine wood derby.

We do a check-in day the weekend before the race. We setup the track, but it does not have a timer on it. The Parents/Kids get a change to tweak their cars and race against a few people. Because we run three different divisions, you could be racing almost anyone on check-in day. It is very informal, but everyone has a fun time of it. We also use this time to take pictures of all of the participants, and also of the cars. We use these for a slide show the day of the races, and also the day after the races at church to show the winning cars, etc.

The next day (Sunday) we do a "People's Choice" fundraiser. We have all of the cars setup in the Lobby of the church and everyone can vote for their favorite car or cars. It is a nickel a vote. Everybody understands that this is a fundraiser, and no one is criticized if they throw in $5 towards their own car. We raised $330 this year. I award a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place trophy to the winners...as well as a few honorable mentions.

The following Saturday is the Big event itself. It is a full family event (one of our divisions is an open division for the church). We have a great turnout and a lot of fun. We do our trophy ceremony when the event is over.

The next day at church (Sunday) we do a slide show presentation of all the winners.