Where to get engraving done?

Discussions on race planning, preparations and how to run a "fair" and fun race.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Where to get engraving done?

Post by gpraceman »

Does anyone know of a good place to get some small brass plates engraved for tropies and plaques? I went to Things remembered, in our local mall, and was shocked that they wanted $19.99 for the brass plate and $3 per word :shock: There has got to be a less expensive alternative. I'm trying to get some plates made for some plaques that I am making.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Where to get engraving done?

Post by Stan Pope »

Check you local "trophy stores". They do a lot of that, and, around here at least, the plates are much, much more reasonable.
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Stan Pope wrote:Check you local "trophy stores". They do a lot of that, and, around here at least, the plates are much, much more reasonable.
I was also thinking about just getting an engraver and trying it myself. The engraver I saw at Sears had a lettering template that comes with it. Though, I don't know how well it would come out trying to letter by hand.
Randy Lisano

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Darin McGrew
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Darin McGrew »

Stan Pope wrote:Check you local "trophy stores". They do a lot of that, and, around here at least, the plates are much, much more reasonable.
If you go to a local trophy store, you'll find that engraving is indeed expensive. But there are other ways to put text on a brass plate. I'm not sure what process is used, but the brass plates on our trophies look printed.

And if you're looking for a DIY solution, there are foil address labels that you can send through your printer. Or you could use clear address labels on a metalic background.
Da Graphite Kid
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Da Graphite Kid »

gpraceman,
We have used the printed type brass labels from our local trophy store for some raingutter regatta trophies we made. Got them for free as we bought some best of show trophies at the same time (wanted those to look really good). You might want to consider this as they look nice and are inexpensive (even when you have to pay for them). I believe that this is what we will be using on our pinewood derby trophies as well.

Da Graphite Kid
MathGuy
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by MathGuy »

I have used CrownAwards.com for many stuff for scouts. We ordered 15 trophies with engraving for under $100 for our speed awards. (that's with shipping.)

For our best design awards, we are making and staining car stands, we needed plates. We used crown, and have been quoted 75 cents a plate for a 1x3 inch plate engraved. Shipping is 7.50, thus for our 12 plates, it is going to cost 16.50 for all 12 of them. We e-mail them the 3 lines of engraving. My guess is that they have a machine that kicks out these plates automatically.

There number is 800 227 1557.
Fun for one, Fun for all.
Rob D
billcannon
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by billcannon »

graceman...
Have you tryed talking to one of your Christisn radio stations and see if they might know of a shop that is reseaonable that may even do the job as a donation for sponcership. thats what I am hoping to be able to do in the next few weeks for our Grand Prix...
In His service
Bill Cannon
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

billcannon wrote:graceman...
Have you tryed talking to one of your Christisn radio stations and see if they might know of a shop that is reseaonable that may even do the job as a donation for sponcership.
I hadn't really thought about radio stations. We ended up using a sports shop near us and they gave the pack a discount. Though, even with that, the brass plates were more expensive than the trophies :(
Randy Lisano

Scoremaker
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Scoremaker »

You might try getting hold of the Fish Radio Satation Billcannon.
jkelli97
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by jkelli97 »

I do engraved glass as a business. I could probably sand blast the text into the brass plates if that would work for you. I have done it before on jewelry boxes. If the brass is polished the text shows up well. I am doing a glass trophy for our packs adult race this year.

Brett
www.stylecrestimages.com
cchambers
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by cchambers »

Brother, I have your solution. I found a local engraving place that made me plates for $1.25 each. Additionally, I purchased clear plastic boxes for our trophies. The kind that you put NASCAR models in. The plates came from R & W Sales and Trophies, Wayne and Rita Wooten [rwwooten@greenapple.com] 740-969-2581. And the cases came from myraceplace@cs.com. I purchased a case of 6 for $34.74 which includes the shipping. Contact me direct if you need more info. cchambers@mindleaders.com