8 Hrs 15 minutes...

Discussions on race planning, preparations and how to run a "fair" and fun race.
jeffd
Pine Head
Pine Head

8 Hrs 15 minutes...

Post by jeffd »

...Until the start of our derby. OR at least until people start to register their cars.

New track - new timer - new software - first time for us to run a derby. I am pretty dang sure we have this whole thing down :lol:

Keep us in your thoughts and prayers... Lets not have angry parents and no glitches :P
ohiofitter
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: 8 Hrs 15 minutes...

Post by ohiofitter »

Good Luck
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

jeffd wrote:...
I am pretty dang sure we have this whole thing down :lol:

Keep us in your thoughts and prayers... Lets not have angry parents and no glitches :P
But keep a pencil and paper ready to record the concerns and issues as you observe them. Murphy has recorded your statement and taken it as a challenge! :(

Good luck.
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
jeffd
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by jeffd »

Fortunately, Murphy had bad directions to the event and I didn't even hear of a parent complaint. Well, a couple complained that it was taking so long (2 hours from the start of the first heat until the end of the awards ceremony) :roll:

But I feel I was a big winner. Two days ago, my son was helping me look through the trophy order to make sure it was correct and not broken. He told me that he hopes he wins one of the big ones - " but even if he doesn't win anything - at least me and you had fun building all of the cars - and thats more fun than winning a trophy".

My son entered 2 cars. One in the den race and one in our outlaw class. His outlaw car was one he built last year, but broke it when he was trying to make it go faster. His method was hitting it from behind while on the track and this quickly lost a chunk of wood from the rear. He Only lost to a car (barely) with a solid axle and lightened wheels - and his was all BSA. (He even beat dad - so he is very big headed over that :P )

He also was 2nd fastest in his den and 3rd fastest in the pack - so he is very happy to have won an award.

Our leaders did a brick race where you had to leave the basic shape of the block alone and had 4 nice entries. (I'll post pics in a bit) - but I ended up making a lego brick and it was a solid 2nd place car - but most of all it was fun to show the scouts that you can be creative without making cuts into the block.

Altogether, I had an excellent day and I think all of our scouts did the same.
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

jeffd wrote:Fortunately, Murphy had bad directions to the event
Whew! All your preparation must have misdirected him toward MSG... the Knicks will probably have really slick floors for their game!
jeffd wrote:and I didn't even hear of a parent complaint. Well, a couple complained that it was taking so long (2 hours from the start of the first heat until the end of the awards ceremony) :roll:
But did any of the boys complain that they got to race too much? Or too little?

From my personal experience, if you son's car is racing well, the duration is too short. If he is racing poorly, it is way too long!

Enter the elimination system ... Those whose sons are racing poorly get to leave early and not miss their son's heats. Those whose sons are racing well get to stay and see even more! :)
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
jeffd
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by jeffd »

Stan Pope wrote:Enter the elimination system ... Those whose sons are racing poorly get to leave early and not miss their son's heats. Those whose sons are racing well get to stay and see even more! :)
Yeah - some will complain about anything. They win a new sports car and complain about gas mileage and insurance. :lol:

Looking at the race stats now, and i see our race time was 1 hour - 46 mins and 31 secs for 43 cars to race. Granted we also took about 10 minutes between groups to give away some door prizes and had the scouts vote on their favorite cars (which took a total of 20 minutes - need to get this working better). Knock this out and you lose about half the time.