How many kids actually show up?

Discussions on race planning, preparations and how to run a "fair" and fun race.
CuriousGeorge
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

How many kids actually show up?

Post by CuriousGeorge »

Just out of curiosity, for those of you that have put on a District Derby, how many kids signed up versus how many kids actually showed up?

The reason I ask is because last year I was in charge of the District Derby. All of the registration had to go through council.... well the day of the race, kids showed up with confirmation letters but they weren't on the list from council. I was in a panic b/c I ordered the exact amount of trophies needed for my list. But as it turned out, the amount of kids that didn't show up was EXACTLY the same as the amount of kids that weren't expected.... so it evened out.

This year I want some kind of buffer for the trophies and patches and can't figure out just how to handle it. I know I can use the participation trophies again next year by changing out the plaques, but I don't want to many of them.
CuriousGeorge
"They say you learn by your mistakes, in that case I must be a genius."
Pinewood Daddy
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: How many kids actually show up?

Post by Pinewood Daddy »

Our District requires each Pack to submit a form with the number of kids that will be attending with a check for a fee for each kid. Previously they required a list of names to make registration & setting up the software faster. Last year they only required a number attending and forms were filled out while waiting to check in with the kids name, rank, Pack & town.

The fallout seems to be greater with the older scouts. 2 years ago only 1 Webelo scout from our Pack showed up at the District race. I don't have any numbers but I'd guess participation is around 80%.