Awana Grand Prix race

Discussions on race planning, preparations and how to run a "fair" and fun race.
chad9229
Pine Head
Pine Head

Awana Grand Prix race

Post by chad9229 »

At our church last night we sat down and started to discuss the upcoming Awana race in April. I have not, in the past years, been invovled in helping coordinate the race. They decided, at the beginning of the year, to schedule the race for a Wednesday night, not a Saturday.
So this year there is not a way to do it on a Saturday.

We were brainstorming last night to come up with a way to basically get these kids through in an hour and a half.

We are looking at at least 30 kids on one night and 60 on another.

Do you guys have any race formats that are good to let each kid race their car at least 3 times in the night?

The formats we have used in the past were that each child received a card with three blocks and if you came in 1st you got three points, 2nd=2, and 3rd=1. If you had 6 or more points on your card you moved on to the semi finals.

Just let me know what you think.

Thank you.
3 Cub Dad
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Awana Grand Prix race

Post by 3 Cub Dad »

In order to answer, we'll need a little more information.

how many lanes on track?
Do you have a timer? (what kind)
Are you running race management software or using pencil and paper?
How many adults / support staff?
Do you normally have the kids put the cars on the track or have them bring them to an adult to put on the track?
What kind of track and how long? (this one only because I'm curious, doesn't really impact answer)

There are a lot of different possibilities, butthey are dependant on knowing the above.
woodenshoe1
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by woodenshoe1 »

Chad,

How many tracks do you have available?

We use two different tracks of 4 lanes each. We run a similar format based on points. Each car races in each lane one time. A car must earn 12 point to advance to the next round. We run the girls on one track and the boys on the other. We also run the leaders on the same track as the smaller of the two groups(boys or girls). You may want to borrow/rent another track form a scout group or another church in the area.

Another thing we did was move registration time to 5:30 and begin the opening ceremony at 6:00. Our Awana club usually starts at 6:30 but we published the early start time weeks in advance. We have been able to get 30-40 clubbers done before 8:00 pm using this schedule.

We also held two workshops ahead of time to cut down on the check-in/ weigh-in process the night of the race.

Wooden Shoe
chad9229
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by chad9229 »

how many lanes on track?

Do you have a timer? (what kind)
yes, not sure what kind, It is the one with the blinking lights, I think the cheapest one you can purchases

Are you running race management software or using pencil and paper?
Usually Pencil and Paper

How many adults / support staff?
at least 7-10 adults

Do you normally have the kids put the cars on the track or have them bring them to an adult to put on the track?
We have someone that places the cars

What kind of track and how long? (this one only because I'm curious, doesn't really impact answer)

Built by a parent(Not very good) It is warped(sore subject)
Normal length track.
ameliabedelia
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by ameliabedelia »

When is your race?