Interesting District Rule

Discussions on race planning, preparations and how to run a "fair" and fun race.
nodakindy
Apprentice
Apprentice

Interesting District Rule

Post by nodakindy »

I was reading through rules for future district race and at the very end was this rule/comment which I have to say seems like a good idea.

Judges decisions are final!!!

Anyone that raises a conflict will AUTOMATICALLY be listed on next year’s Pinewood Committee and will be required to assist with the race (including planning). NO EXCEPTIONS!

Regards,
Nodakindy
tmbnorm
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Interesting District Rule

Post by tmbnorm »

That will make people think twice about complaining.
Complain and you get a job!

I think most will sit on their hand and zip their lips.
3 Cub Dad
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by 3 Cub Dad »

Oh man, that is DEFINITELY getting added to our rules for next year!!!!
ohiofitter
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by ohiofitter »

I like the rule...But do you have the right to question anything...Not to whine about the competitors but just to question how it was done.
derbyspeed
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by derbyspeed »

nodakindy wrote:Anyone that raises a conflict will AUTOMATICALLY be listed on next year’s Pinewood Committee and will be required to assist with the race (including planning). NO EXCEPTIONS!
The rule seems like a good one, but who determines what a "conflict" is? The 2nd year my son raced in the scouts (double elimination) it got down to the last race and he hadn't lost any. The last race (as the cubmaster announced) he lost, but this was his first loss. I hated to even go talk to the cubmaster about the situation, but I felt my son deserved the chance to race again.

He had already announced the other boy the winner, but I couldn't let it slide even though I felt quite bad for the other scout. They checked the brackets and sure enough my son had only lost once. They raced both cars again and my son ended up winning 1st place.

I didn't complain how they did it, I just noted that my son only lost once, but is that a conflict? Was a bad situation especially for the scout who thought he won 1st. Just my 0.02 cents worth?
Mike Webb

"Do or Do Not, There is No Try"
nodakindy
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by nodakindy »

If last year is any indication I would have to say the people that ran the race seem like reasonable people. Asking a question isn't really the same as creating a huge ordeal. Nor is pointing out an error, such as some one not running twice in a double elimination race.

In this case all the rules seem clear enough and are basically the same as local pack rules so I don't see a problem at the outset. To me the point is when you have a large event such as this you have to have good rules, structure in order to keep things going smoothly. If very many made a big deal the whole event gets degraded for everyone to some degree.

So the point being if you as an individual have such a strong point to be made or are so knowledgable, then perhaps you should be involved at a point when rules and proceedures are being decided, and not complaining about such after the fact.

Personally, I just want my grandsons to have fun. Of course I hope they do well, but I wouldn't ever consider blowing something out of proportion to it's overall importance. It's a PWD, it's suppose to be fun! I would definitely ask a question if I felt it necessary, but I can see no point in belaboring some detail that doesn't change anything or create a positive enviroment and experience for the boys as well as the other participants.

Regards,
Nodakindy
tmbnorm
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by tmbnorm »

There are always people who will complain about anything.

Our Pack ran the District races this year. I was there from 6:15 AM to 3:00 PM. I helped set up and take down. I ran the computer and timer for all 237 races. It was a long exhausting day.

During the Wolf races (I think), a Mom came up to me complaining that here son had run in lane 1 two times in a row. "They are supposed to run in all of the lanes", she protested. I tried to explain that the computer selects the lane and it evens out in the end. I am not sure she was happy with my answer.

I think that the rule is targeting people like this lady. She would probably never raise her hand when people are needed to help, but she will speak up when things are not going her way.

There are lots of people in our Pack that only show up when they want to. They hardly come to Den meetings, but everyone is there for the Christmas Parade, Christmas Party or Pack meeting. I have little patience for people like that who complain when they don't like things.