Transport Tray - Design / Plans

Discussions on race planning, preparations and how to run a "fair" and fun race.
WikiWiki
Apprentice
Apprentice

Transport Tray - Design / Plans

Post by WikiWiki »

Does anyone have a design or a plan for a tray that can be used by the scout helpers to safely collect and transport the cars from the finishline to the start?
ah8tk
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Transport Tray - Design / Plans

Post by ah8tk »

Here are some pictures of a car carrier I designed and built this year. I wanted the carrier to be able to be disassembled, for storage , with the track. I was able to build 2 carriers out of 1 - 2' X 2' piece of 1/2" AC plywood. I cut the side extensions from some scrap 1/4" plywood I found laying around. I figured if I had to purchase all materials it would cost approximately $20 to build two of these carriers.

It is bolted together with (6) 1/4" X 3/4" bolts (it takes about 1 minute to assemble and tighten)

It does take some welding skill to assemble the top bar assembly but the rest is relatively easy to build. PM me and I can send the plans, if you would like.
Andy
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

That looks similar to carrying trays that I built for our races. Mine don't have the handles. I'd be a little afraid of the tray being swung around by the handle. We usually have older scouts carrying the cars and we make sure they are holding the trays with both hands.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
WikiWiki
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by WikiWiki »

Excellent. I bought the handy panel today. I was trying to figure out what to do for a handle. I remember I have a dowel I could use, or I may go with a serving tray style. We had an incident last year that resulting in car getting dropped and a axle being bent...