Running outdoors

Discussions on race planning, preparations and how to run a "fair" and fun race.
pack529holycross
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Running outdoors

Post by pack529holycross »

In the upcoming corporate event we are running in April, the event is to be held outside. This will be our first use of this system outside, and I would welcome some advice for using the Microwizard/BEstrack combination outside. It is my intention to use a tent-type cover for the finish line and scoring area ( 10 x 10 ).. other than shieldin the sensors from direct light, what other advice can you all give for insuring that we have solid data capture?

Nicholas
3 Cub Dad
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Running outdoors

Post by 3 Cub Dad »

Nicholas,

On the bestTrack, especially if you bought it in the past couple of years, there are 3 sets of holes, smallest diameter closest to the start line, largest diameter closest to the end of the track. You definately want to make sure that you are using the smallest diameter holes. Also, I think I read that Best recommends that if you are having problems or are running outdoors, painting a black stripe for the finishline also cuts down on reflections, glares etc. (I'd probably use a flat black! 8) )

I'd be more worried about getting the track level outside! :shock:

Steve
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Fast Track timers may have a problem in bright sunlight. The New Directions timer, with Sunlight Max option, is the only timer that claims to work in sunlight.

You will need to provide good shading for the finish line and do as 3 Cub Dad suggests with painting a flat black finish stripe.

I'd also make sure light doesn't get to the sensors under the track, from the sides or ends. Maybe mount wood blocks under the track, drilled for the sensors to peer through to the IR LED's above the track.

Even with all that, you may still run into problems, if it is a very sunlit day.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
RMoose
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by RMoose »

I second all the ideas already given, and would also suggest a test of your timer/track in that outdoor environment prior to the actual race to be sure it will work under your tent!

A few years ago we had a timer fail to record at all due to indirect light coming in the windows of a stairwell located across the hall from the doorway into our gym. Our problem was made worse because the gym doorway at the time had no doors installed and we had no way to block off the light! Same timer had worked perfectly the night :roll: before so it was definitely the daylight that was the problem.

If possible, you might also consider setting up the tent in a shaded location to further reduce the possible interference from sunlight. Some boards or a cover that would protect the top and sides of the track at the finish line might also help keep out extra light and give the timer a chance to work properly. Definitely worth your while to find out before the big day!
We are Ambassadors for Christ
terryep
Merchant
Merchant

Post by terryep »

All good suggestions, to test it I would swing a pencil quickly across the hole a 1/2" above the track. Test each sensor separately, they all should pick it up easily. It's best to test when he sun is highest in the sky.

You may want to paint the underside of the bridge and side supports black as well to cut down on reflected IR.

Properly designed sensors that use encoded photodiodes will not have a problem.
Terry