Webelos II At Districts?

Discussions on race planning, preparations and how to run a "fair" and fun race.
Eric E.
Apprentice
Apprentice

Webelos II At Districts?

Post by Eric E. »

I was just told that my oldest son, who is a Webelo II, won't be allowed to race at districts. He won overall pack. The districts don't allow Webelos II to race since they cross over to Boy Scouts before the race at the end of April. Is this the norm in other areas?

Eric
TDean
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Webelos II At Districts?

Post by TDean »

My son was a Webelos II last year -- and he was allowed to race even though he had crossed over into Scouts almost a month before the District races. I was a bit concerned, but apparently that is the standing rule -- let 'em race, they earned it!

I'm sorry your District doesn't see it that way...
TDean
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

Wotamalo also reacted to the trend toward earlier crossover to Boy Scouts by including those Webelos II / 5th graders (who earned the right) to participate in the District race independent of whether he had already crossed over.

My concern in supporting this policy was that boys might make their decision on time to crossover based on PWD participation. We should not allow that to be a consideration.
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
Derby Wizard
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by Derby Wizard »

Ours allows Webelos II to race. I don't know that it has ever been questioned...our district race is after crossover as well. Hmmm. I don't think I'll complain. :)

If the car was built as a cub scout, qualified while a cub scout, I think it should be allowed. I'm shocked to hear of your situation...never heard of such a thing. I haven't researched any of the technicalities of the situation you have described...but I think it's a good way to turn a boy off from scouting. It might just be a rule specific to your district/council.
MathGuy
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by MathGuy »

Our council rules are even more wierd.

If our pack derby is held before our cross over, then the 5th grade webelos can participate in the council derby, even if they had crossed over since. (Well, I guess this isn't to wierd, if your PWD is after the cross over, then the 5th graders would be boy scouts and doing boy scout stuff.)

But our Pack, we have a Unique issue this year, we had planned our derby for 2/7 and cross over is on 2/23, but the school had to move our date because of last second "school-use" conflict, and now we will be having our derby on 2/28. Most of the boys had already finished there cars, so It would be stupid not to have them participate at the pack and council races. I don't see any of our 5th graders being district champs, but I don't want to have them miss out on the council race experience.

:shhh: When I fill out our pack forms, I will keep the original derby date. Our pack had no control over a last second conflict, and I am not going to be in position to explain the district rule to some boy and parent who are gung-ho on council race.
Fun for one, Fun for all.
Rob D
TurtlePowered
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by TurtlePowered »

I feel that is just totally bogus.
ranman106
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by ranman106 »

Eric E. wrote:I was just told that my oldest son, who is a Webelo II, won't be allowed to race at districts. He won overall pack. The districts don't allow Webelos II to race since they cross over to Boy Scouts before the race at the end of April. Is this the norm in other areas?

Eric
Man, what a bummer! Our district allows the Webelo II's to participate. I mean really, it may be a kids last chance at a district championship and to take that away is simply wrong. Just my .02.
The Wedge - It's not a doorstop, it's a way of life!