First year running Derby

Discussions on race planning, preparations and how to run a "fair" and fun race.
BaltimoreRob
Apprentice
Apprentice

First year running Derby

Post by BaltimoreRob »

Hello All. This is my first year running the PWD for my pack. I have also volunteered to run the District Derby. Our Pack is purchasing a 3 lane Best track, Micro Wizard Timer, And software. In Years past we ran on a hand me down track.

For this event I have set up two dates for a workshop. I think more boys could have better cars if they had some help from advanced builders.

How does this sound each boy receives a ribbon for participating. Top leader for each Den receives a small trophy and the top three over all receive larger trophies?

I was thinking about having a boys vote type of contest for best paint, best shaped, and so forth. Does anyone have any other idea's for this? I was going to use painted little wood chit's for the voting process. Each racer get's color coded chit to place in a plastic cup near the entries. Each color stand for each category. How does this sound?

I was hoping to do this for the district also.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
PWD_addict
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: First year running Derby

Post by PWD_addict »

Hey B-Rob--
Welcome to DerbyTalk. What District are you in? I am PWD Chair for the Chesapeake District.

For our Pack races, we provide the Red, White, and Blue ribbons for the Top Three in rank. Then, the fastest in rank competes in the finals (5 cars) for a trophy. We award trophies for the Top 5 finalists. That guarantees that the top fastest in rank get a trophy. We also have a Sibling trophy.

Everyone receives a PWD patch.

We have separate design categories which are decided on by the Boy Scout leaders. Best Scout Spirit, Paint, Design, etc. Usually give certificates for them.

Provide me your email address (PM if you'd like) and I'll send you the Chessie District Rules and Announcement flyer. It's scheduled for April 4th next year.
3 Cub Dad
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by 3 Cub Dad »

Rob,

Sorry I didn't respond sooner, but let me throw in my two cents worth :lol:

Instead of the participation "ribbons", we too get patches for both pack and district. With the patches you can get them custom made so that they specify pack/district/date, etc. Pretty cheap to get on-line. (I can send you a couple of links, but they're easy to find on-line, and your scout shop can custom order too.) The ribbons are pretty generic. The patches, especially customized, last and they go great with the other patches on brag vests, etc. Also, kids seeing a "cool" district patch, is added incentive to work to make it to districts!

Whether you race by dens, and award "place" ribbons or trophies, or race as a whole pack, depends on the size of your dens and pack! We race as a whole pack. (I've got one den that only has 3 kids.....) I've also seen "junior class" and "senior class". My own personal dislike of running by dens, and I've seen it...... if you advance 2 cars from each den to the final, but award 3 trophies, the 3rd fastest car in the pack may not even be allowed to run in the finals and then, unfairly, wouldn't have a shot at a trophy! (if the 3 fastest cars in the pack are all from the same den!) Let me know if you want some other ideas around this (don't want to go to far off topic!)

We do hand out derby "licences" that have the racers name and the same number as is assigned to the car during checkin. The racers can wear these and it helps match racers to cars!

As to the design category. I don't know how to say this strongly enough, but I would SERIOUSLY encourage you to also get at least 3 good sized trophies for design categories. There are two, sometimes distinct, aspects to PWD. The first, which is sometimes, like here, emphasized most, is speed. The second, and I believe it should have an equal spot in the sport, is design. Some kids and parents will want to focus more, or have more talent at, design. They should be equally recognized and rewarded.

Some packs hand out a certificate for every car entered, making up categories so that everyone gets an award, (funniest car, most color, best boat, fastest looking, best shine, wiggliest, etc....) My opinion, this actually detracts from recognizing true design and effort awards. Remember how I said every car gets a number when it's checked in? Right before the race, we hand out a voting slip to every scout and leader, (pack level), with 3 or 4 categories, Best in Show, Most Original Design, Best Theme, and vote by number.

For district, we do the same with trophies and classes, but instead of having all of the scouts vote, it's all of the leaders.

Too many categories to vote for and it becomes confusing for all.

Hope this helps a little.

3CubDad
BaltimoreRob
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by BaltimoreRob »

Thank you both for the info.