Question on Wood Block

Discussions on race planning, preparations and how to run a "fair" and fun race.
91Cat
Apprentice
Apprentice

Question on Wood Block

Post by 91Cat »

While helping my son with his Boy Scout pinewood derby care I drilled a hole through the top of the body. I bought another block of wood from Michael's and we re-built the car. While reviewing the rules one last time I noticed that they specify that the wheels, axels, and body wood shall be as provided in the official BSA Pinewood Derby Kit. Well being a rookie I bought a block of wood that was identical to the one in the kit however it was the brand Pinecar. Is the Pinecar wood identical to that in the official BSA kit? I certainly don't want to cheat but I hate the thought of having to withdraw my son from the race.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Question on Wood Block

Post by gpraceman »

The wood really isn't the issue (to me), but the PineCar block may have a different wheelbase and/or position of the slots, which may cause you problems with the rules. Though it seems your rules are mandating that it must be a BSA block.

Why not patch the hole with bondo or wood putty? Those cover up lots of car-tastrophes

Where in the Denver area are you?
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
91Cat
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by 91Cat »

Thanks gp. I may try to repair the first car.
dna1990
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by dna1990 »

Every group and PWD Committee different - but I suggest straight up asking your chairman or leader.

Tell them the exact story and block that was purchased.

If it is not a pre-shaped block, our pack would probably allow it on an exception basis. But not on axle or wheels.

Does the hole just 'look bad' or does it affect the car somehow...? If just looks - 'maybe use it'. Meaning make the hole bigger or something, put in a lego driver, add a weight, put in a dowel rod and cut off, etc, or fill it with putty, etc. Reacting to 'mistakes' is a superior lesson for scouts over first-time perfection.
MaxV
Merchant
Merchant

Post by MaxV »

FYI, the PineCar block is similar to a BSA block, however, the wheelbase is just a bit different. But more importantly the depth of the axle slots is considerably less than on a BSA block. On the PineCar block, the axles sit flush with the bottom of the car, while on the BSA block, the axles are well recessed into the block.