Cubs voting for Best of Show

Discussions on race planning, preparations and how to run a "fair" and fun race.
Randy and Son
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Cubs voting for Best of Show

Post by Randy and Son »

At this year's race we are going to allow the boys to vote for their choice of Best in Show award. Each boy will be given an official ballot (something that won't allow for stuffing the ballot box) and will be allowed to vote before the races begin. The poll closes when the race starts.

My question is, "Would it be better to have them vote for first, second, and third place?" (Like they vote for the Heisman Trophy in college football). The rational behind the question is that in the extreme, we could end up with 33 cars each having one vote. At least with multiple selections, someone might vote for themselves and then vote for another one that they really like and we would get a more clear picture of a chosen winner. There is only one trophy though for this award though. The rest of them are all speed trophies.

Randy
PWD_addict
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Cubs voting for Best of Show

Post by PWD_addict »

I think the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd will confuse them in thinking that there are three awards. Just tell them to vote for their favorite three.
Randy and Son
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Randy and Son »

PWD_addict wrote:I think the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd will confuse them in thinking that there are three awards. Just tell them to vote for their favorite three.
That's a good idea. Keeps it simple and achieves the desired result. Thanks.

Randy
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

I wish more would do this, let the kids judge !!

I often wonder how cub scout members with kids in the race can vote open minded.

When I was involved with the Cubmobile races.

I picked strangers out of the field, that came to watch.

I asked them who they were there to see.

I had them pick most of the classes, I got someone else to vote for that class.

I usually got two or three adults.

If it came down to a tie, they flipped a coin.

Sporty
Go Bubba Go
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Go Bubba Go »

Randy and Son wrote:At this year's race we are going to allow the boys to vote for their choice of Best in Show award. Each boy will be given an official ballot (something that won't allow for stuffing the ballot box) and will be allowed to vote before the races begin. The poll closes when the race starts.

My question is, "Would it be better to have them vote for first, second, and third place?" (Like they vote for the Heisman Trophy in college football). The rational behind the question is that in the extreme, we could end up with 33 cars each having one vote. At least with multiple selections, someone might vote for themselves and then vote for another one that they really like and we would get a more clear picture of a chosen winner. There is only one trophy though for this award though. The rest of them are all speed trophies.

Randy
This is essentially the method we have used in our Pack for the past couple of years. Last year we had them cast two votes in no rank, one each for two different cars i.e. can't vote twice for the same car. This year we had them vote for 1st, 2nd, 3rd.

In both cases the desired effect was achieved, there was a clear winner either through gross total votes (last year) or through most votes for 1st, followed by most votes for 2nd if tied (this year).

Bubba
"Who's Grandpa's neighbor?"... Phil Davis, Down and Derby
dna1990
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by dna1990 »

We let scouts cast a vote, but we have on occasion made some executive decisions on the tally. We have seen smaller ranks where cars all got one vote each.

The Scout's Favorite category is only one of twelve design categories. But Scout's Favorite and Judge's Favorite get a trohpy.

Scouts vote during the race. They judge a rank that is not theirs and not the one racing at that moment. They simply write down the car number on their 'on time ticket'.
sprntrcr

Post by sprntrcr »

We have 2 categories, scouts favorite and crowd favorite. The adults each get a ballot when they come in the door. For the scouts, before the race, we let each den go up with their leader and fill out their ballot. With a little encouragement from the leader about good sportsmanship and don't just vote for yourself, we have never had a tie. In fact, the crowd favorite is usually closer than the scout favorite. It is amazing how far apart the two groups can be. It seems like the scout favorite always has a gun of some sort :mrgreen: