Display stands

Discussions on race planning, preparations and how to run a "fair" and fun race.
Randy and Son
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Display stands

Post by Randy and Son »

Not everyone takes home a trophy, but this year everyone took home one of these from our Derby races.

These display stands are just made from 1x2 and 1x4 pieces of pine, painted gloss white. Beveled the front with a router and attached stick-on brass plates (from the same place that we got the trophies).

The message reads, "I did my Best". A reminder of the Cub Scout motto to "Do your best".

Not everyone got a trophy, but everyone felt like a winner.

Randy
MT Pockets
Journeyman
Journeyman

Re: Display stands

Post by MT Pockets »

Those are really cool, and a great idea too. Gives the kiddo's a way to display their cars when they get home.

Curious...How many did you have to make?

MT Pockets
dna1990
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by dna1990 »

Not nearly as fancy (by a long shot), but we too make and hand out stands for every entrant. We use simple labels to stick on and have at least one commemorative for everyone, plus stickers for winning various judges awards.

We run upwards of 150 racers, so we have to be less elaborate on the stands.

They are 2x4 stud material, cut 8" long. Then cut into two on an angle. A small staple is nailed in for the stop. For wood, staple, and stain - only about $0.20 each.

Ignore that purty trophy and just look at the stand...

Randy and Son
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Randy and Son »

MT Pockets wrote:Curious...How many did you have to make?
Made 35 of them. It didn't take too long to build them though. You just have to get into production line mode. Routed the beveled edge and then painted the wood before cutting it up. Then after cutting, stacked all the cut edges from one side together to paint. Then after drying repeat for the other edge.

The plate on the front of them originally was just going to be a printed address label from a sheet of labels that we ran through a laser printer. But the trophy place came through for us after we ordered the trophies.

Before the order, I asked around at a few different places what the charge would be for the brass plates and everyone quoted prices in the $4 to $5 range which was out of the question for us. After we ordered the trophies though, the Cubmaster asked again (more like an after thought as he was walking out the door) and "now" it seems they could be made for less than $1 a piece. Sold.

If anyone ever removes the brass plate, they will find the address label (with similar text) underneath.

It was nice to see everyone leave carrying a little bit of hardware.

Randy
ah8tk
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by ah8tk »

I have been working on an idea I had to give out a stand like these to all participants and make trophies that also resemble the stands for next years derby. I have found a place that will print a brass (up to 1” X 6”) plate with a printed logo for $1.50 ea.

The early pricing for the stand will be about $4, and the trophies will be $7 to 10, in pine. I need to finish up the plans and get the pricing firmed up before I bring it to our parents committee. I think a trophy that can also display the winning car is really cool. But they may have to be made with some hardwood to really look stylish.

The trophy parts are cheap enough I may just have to order some stuff and make up a couple of these to show to the parents committee.
Last edited by ah8tk on Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Randy and Son
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Randy and Son »

ah8tk wrote:I have been working on an idea I had to give out a stand like these to all participants and make trophies that also resemble the stands for next years derby.
Wow! Very impressive plans. Please post a picture when you have something put together.

Randy
dna1990
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by dna1990 »

Car stand / trophy combo - very nice idea. Can you list your source for trophy 'parts'?

Is your brass plate source local, or would they do a remote order?
ah8tk
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by ah8tk »

The trophy parts supplier I have found is TrophyParts, I have not ordered from them yet. But they do stock everything I am looking for, to complete this project.

They are also the same people that can supply the labels. They do not have a minimum order for labels, but if you buy 25 or over you can get them down to $1.00. And if you can provide them with a logo they will print it on the label also.