Entrants Fee for Council Race Event

Discussions on race planning, preparations and how to run a "fair" and fun race.
pack529holycross
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Entrants Fee for Council Race Event

Post by pack529holycross »

We have 14 districts, and we are inviting top 3 from each rank District winners plus automatic qualifications for any Pack Champions. Low side estimate is 150 cars and high side estimate ( theoretical max ) would be 546 cars. Assuming $500 for awards/trophies, $300 for patches, and a slice of pizza and soda per entrant, what would be the appropriate entrants fee?

I am thinking $10 is about the threshold of what could be charged to cover expenses. Any thoughts?

Nicholas
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Entrants Fee for Council Race Event

Post by Stan Pope »

Is there any precedent for fees for this event? Move slowly toward new levels.

Your professional advisor will have a list of costs that must be included, so put your head together with his/hers.

It is smart to include some $ for necessities that are donated or sometimes available for free, so that next year, when you can't get the donation, your costs don't jump dramatically. (This may also affect how the donation is handled for the donor's tax return as well ... your advisor can explain this, I think.)

$10 is probably in the ballpark of palatable for most families, but local conditions vary.
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
Go Bubba Go
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Go Bubba Go »

FWIW:

Our Council Entry fee is $35 per Pack, with 10 total entries allowed per Pack (Winners and Runners-Up for 1st through 5th grades). On average there are probably 9 entries per Pack (some smaller Packs only have 1 boy in a particular grade or even 0 boys in some particular grades).

Send the form in after the entry deadline (about 1 month before the Council race), and the fee doubles.

About 85-90% of the entries come in on time, remaining 10-15% late.

Bear in mind that we have a sponsoring organization that covers almost the entire cost of trophies, and we don't provide any food for free (there is a concession stand on site). IIRC most of the remaining budget goes to commemorative patches for the boys and mugs for the volunteers, as well as some material costs (trash bags, scales, stick on nametags for boys, etc.).

Starting from scratch, I would consider $10 per boy reasonable if you are providing food. Not knowing what turnout to expect, I would probably start with a smaller fee and not provide any food unless you think you're getting a really good deal on it.

Since this is your first occurence, I would suggest you set your entry deadline at least a month ahead of time and negotiate trophy size / costs with your vendor after you have a better forecast of your incoming $$$.

Bubba
"Who's Grandpa's neighbor?"... Phil Davis, Down and Derby
mbb
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by mbb »

our district fee is $65 per pack, which covers 3 from each rank, thats ~$4-5 per kid if they all would show. They dont. I have had to pay the full $65 for just my son before.

Our council is $7 per kid, much more reasonable.