Which should be the focus of a Council Derby

Discussions on race planning, preparations and how to run a "fair" and fun race.
pack529holycross
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Which should be the focus of a Council Derby

Post by pack529holycross »

So are you saying that a race data file that has been used to generate a race acheule can have additional race groups added even after you have started racing?
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

pack529holycross wrote:So are you saying that a race data file that has been used to generate a race acheule can have additional race groups added even after you have started racing?
Yes, so long as there are no duplicate car numbers. Each imported CSV file was for only the one rank and we assigned each rank their own number series, as I mentioned earlier.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Husker
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Husker »

pack529holycross wrote:So are you saying that a race data file that has been used to generate a race acheule can have additional race groups added even after you have started racing?
I know it took Randy longer to type the answer than what it takes to do what he's describing. I can import the registration file, 'pass' the cars, schedule the races, print schedules and be ready to race in under two minutes. That's a perfect case but to take the file from check-in table laptop till the first race can easily be done in under 10 minutes. If that's not fast enough, you could do those steps while running a race!

Advice on the csv file: Click the 'export data to a CSV file' button and save it. You don't need any data to do this. This gives you a (perfect) template to work with.
Jason Henning

Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.
AlabamaDan
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by AlabamaDan »

gpraceman wrote:
pack529holycross wrote:how do you exactly use GPRM v8.0 to generate race schedules for divisions within the same event that are checking in at different times, so that at the end of the event you can do a coalated grand finals ?
We have a computer at check-in and put the info into an Excel spreadsheet. Once the check-in is complete for that rank, we save that as a CSV file, put onto a USB flash drive, transfer to the race computer, and then import it. Once imported, we create and print the schedule.

Each rank is given its own car number series (100's for Tigers, 200's for Wolves, etc.) so there will be no number conflict during the import.

All the data goes into the same data file, so starting a Grand Finals at the end of the day is no problem.
Do you still do that? That goes along with my other thread and I'd like to hear more about your process.