Trial Runs

Discussions on race planning, preparations and how to run a "fair" and fun race.
AlabamaDan
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Trial Runs

Post by AlabamaDan »

Anyone set their track up a few days early for boys to come and test their cars?
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Trail Runs

Post by Stan Pope »

AlabamaDan wrote:Anyone set their track up a few days early for boys to come and test their cars?
I wondered as I read the title, what kind of "trail" your cars would be subjected to.

Yes, a "Test and Tune" time is common sometime during the week preceeding the race. The advantage is that the race team has a chance to check over the track and make sure that all is in good order before 150 impatient folks are waiting for difficult problems with the track to be resolved.

Many folks prohibit actual racing between competitors and, for this reason, may not turn on the timer other than to check that it and any related software functions properly. Racing against the driver's car from a prior year is allowed instead.

Schedule the "Test and Tune" well in advance so that folks have it, instead of race day, as their build target.
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
JSG
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by JSG »

I wish our pack could do that. We rent a small gym for race day and that's it. One thing I noticed comparing times from last years pack race finals to this years is that out of 18 finals competitors from last year only the top three ended up in this years top 21. My son went from 3rd to 1st, last years 2nd went to 12th, last years 1st went to 6th. That tells me that while one of us knew we had a good car, the vast majority have no idea if their car is fast or not. Having a test track in our situation is a huge advantage. I let anybody in the pack run their cars on my track if they ask. I would like to see the rest of the pack members be able run last years car against this years car a few days before the race (if last years car is still in one piece). It would help level the playing field.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

JSG wrote:I let anybody in the pack run their cars on my track if they ask. I would like to see the rest of the pack members be able run last years car against this years car a few days before the race (if last years car is still in one piece). It would help level the playing field.
Maybe instead of them having to ask, you could offer to host a Test and Tune.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
JSG
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by JSG »

Good point! I've always been hesitant to do that due to limited parking and room in my basement. I've got a heated shop at work with plenty of room to set up our pack track. I'm going to offer to have one or two test and tune evenings next year.
stang68
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Trial Runs

Post by stang68 »

We only open one lane of our track when we have tech nights,we try to have 3 test nights,we do not install the timer for those nights.Also we set up the track the night before the race and open one lane for testing.
AlabamaDan
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by AlabamaDan »

Why not use the time? Is it because someone might not actually race during the PWD?
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

AlabamaDan wrote:Why not use the time? Is it because someone might not actually race during the PWD?
Personally, I think the timing should be left until the race. Otherwise, you get kids comparing times and already getting discouraged before the race.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.