We ran things in a way that really worked out well for us.

Discussions on race planning, preparations and how to run a "fair" and fun race.
PinewoodPerformance
Merchant
Merchant

We ran things in a way that really worked out well for us.

Post by PinewoodPerformance »

We had 47 Boys, small town, and the took their cars in the order they arrived they did 4 boys at a time, everyone raced everyone in thae heat, 2 lane track, the two winning records went on the the Blue group and the 2 loosing records went on to the Gold group. In case of a tie, whomever won the race between them went on to the Blue group. It was then broken down into (2) 23/24 car Tournament, single elimination (accept for third place) There was a Blue and a Gold Championship! Each boy had at least 5 races, My son Tanner had 9 and only lost the very last race of the night Taking 2nd Place in the winners bracket (Blue). We are a little upset about it for 2 reasons, Tanner didn't notice his rear right tire had come loose (we lost by a half inch) and the Boy who won had a bolt with washers sticking out of the back of his car making it about 9 inches long and our car had to be shaved down because it was a centimeter too long, I rant the drum over it twice and stripped the paint and it passed. We were happy with second place for our first try though! In our hearts we know we would have won! We have no district race in the Sciota Valley District in the Columbus Ohio area so that was our season, we are still building and have cought the bug so I think we'll give WIRL a whirl! Anyway for a small pack that ran real well for us!
MathGuy
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: We ran things in a way that really worked out well for u

Post by MathGuy »

Good job, that small difference with that advantage would seem to matter.

Regarding the method, it sounds like it worked great. 2 lane tracks with that many boys one isn't left with allot of choices.

One suggestion though for any Single Elimination tournament. In a 32 size bracket rank, the winning boy had to have beaten 4 other boys before beating you. If one wanted to be more fair, boys who had been beaten by your opponent might have been the 2nd fastest car. (not likely in your case) So there could be a 2nd place tournament involving you and the boys who lost to the 1st place car.

This would also give the boys who loses a race a reason to cheer on the boy who beat him, and give accuracy to the 2nd place trophy.
Fun for one, Fun for all.
Rob D
PinewoodPerformance
Merchant
Merchant

Re: We ran things in a way that really worked out well for u

Post by PinewoodPerformance »

what they did was in the semi finals the guys 1 and 2 beat went against each other for third place and those that mede the finals got first and second. I see what you are saying though, glad it didn't happen we may have lost the wheel all together!