2011 Pack races, the Good, Bad & Ugly

Discussions on race planning, preparations and how to run a "fair" and fun race.
rpcarpe
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

2011 Pack races, the Good, Bad & Ugly

Post by rpcarpe »

We held three pack races last weekend. I worked Pit, Registration and Race management (guy at the computer).
Had a great time, lots of good cars and great kids. All fairly small packs.

But let's start with the Ugly:
This was a pack where one or two build teams came to workshop. No one else.
I'm working the spec check desk and official scale. Kid comes up with a hand-carved car, Mom & Dad somewhere nearby. I teach the kid how to operate the scale, he checks the weight and it's a bit heavy. They change out the weighting screw in the middle of the block and come back. This time it's good. I check the length and there's a Nut glued to the rear bumper. Car's too long. I show this to the kid. Enraged Dad comes over, yells at me and the Commissioner working registration. Rants about 'PWD is becoming too much of a Dad thing, kids can't....' all the while pulling out his pocket-knife and whittles the front of the painted car down to spec. Bad, very bad scene. Could not be calmed down, was not persuaded to work on car in a safe manner. Scared me, the commish, and many others in the area. Poor mom/wife was almost in tears. Car finally got registered. Dad saw how we were teaching the kids about their cars, CM, wheelbase etc... as we inspected and registered. Dad actually apologized, no hard feelings, we shook hands. Kid had a great time with a terrible car.
Pack had some fairly quick cars, no track records broken though. Two build teams I helped, placed in top three.
Pack did award team award for fastest average time per den, Wolves got giant candy bars.

The Bad: Pack followed highly restrictive (IMO) District rules, no fast cars, not a great time. Track (39' Best Track) was getting out of alignment and gaps were getting worse with each race. One very fast car came off, hit the timer gate, damaged it and never ran as well again. Some key leaders ended up out of town and they punted by scoring points, not times. No team award, no cheering for others... remaining leaders wanted to 'just get it over with'.

The Good: 10 Simple rules, any lubricant allowed just don't foul the track. FAST cars, at least four shattered previous track record. Down from 3.01's to 2.9669 on 39' Best track. Lots of build teams came to workshops.

Fastest Den awarded the Huge Wrench (3' wrench for 2" bolts). Kids loved getting the big award, 1/2 the pack went home 'winners'. Also... winners had to explain speed secrets. Trophy time was like a Master's class on PWD.
Dad whose wife and son made the car (he was out of town during build) told us 'Best PWD ever'! No blowouts, no sore losers. All the kids were proud of their cars and their hard work. Having a bunch of workshop sessions really helped. The team trophy kept them engaged in fellow scouts' races. Handling the cars themselves kept them busy and out of trouble.

Keep It Simple! It works!!
My wife started a new support group... Widows of the Pinewood Derby.
Nitro Dan
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: 2011 Pack races, the Good, Bad & Ugly

Post by Nitro Dan »

rpcarpe wrote:Dad saw how we were teaching the kids about their cars, CM, wheelbase etc... as we inspected and registered. Dad actually apologized, no hard feelings, we shook hands. Kid had a great time with a terrible car.
"Ugly" is in the eye of the beholder. You accomplished something that most Derbies never are able to "repair" once the confrontation has taken place. You got through to this Dad and he was able to see the wrong he was creating. A lot of people are under great stress these days and never show an outward sign until something small comes along and they suddenly lash out. You were able to take a negative situation and turn it into something positive. I commend you and your team. I'm sure you all made a great impression on that Dad that will be with him for years to come.

My pack was one of those rare few where the police had to be called in at the Pinewood Derby. It took place before I joined and I can't get anyone to give me any details on the incident, but it was obvious it didn't turn out for the best. One thing we do now is not have the inspectors and the Race commissioner wear their class A uniforms at the race. It makes them look to much like an authority figure who is perceived as "laying down the law" on small innocent children. Tends to rub parents the wrong way and gives the impression of police officers coming down on them.

-Nitro Dan
Take good and make it great. Take fast and make it faster. Performance drives success!