Projection questions

Discussions on race planning, preparations and how to run a "fair" and fun race.
Rukkian
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Projection questions

Post by Rukkian »

This will now be my third year helping to run the race, and I have a few questions. First a little background: The room we normally race on is very big. We usually have the track in the middle of the room. There is a stage on one end, and last year, we put it paralell to the stage to give the boys somewhat of a tiered seating, while having most of the parents on the other side and by the finish line. Last year I simply projected the spreadsheet we used that calculated the results, which went well, but they year we purchased gprm, and are considering race replay. I projected it near the start last year, partly in an attempt to keep it away from kids.

1.What does everybody using project onto? There is a small framed "screen" basically a small white flannel sheet that we hang from the ceiling, but would a regular sheet work okay just simply hanging from the ceiling? What does everybody use?

2.I have 2+ projectors to use (I have 2 and others have said they have one), should I have GPRM and race replay on the same computer and project both on the same screen (just switch to racereplay during the race), or have them on seperate screens?

3. As an aside to the above, is it better to have racereplay and gprm on seperate computers, or all on one? I can get computers networked, but do the controls work pretty well, on different computers?

4. Where do you feel is the best place for the the projection screens? I have put them in near the start in the past, but can see a benefit to having them near the finish line, however, that seems like it would take away some premium seating. Since we typically have approximately 120 show up to the event (40 scouts, siblings, relatives, friends, etc) I would like to ensure we have plenty of good seats.

Thanks for any input.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Projection questions

Post by gpraceman »

Rukkian wrote:1.What does everybody using project onto? There is a small framed "screen" basically a small white flannel sheet that we hang from the ceiling, but would a regular sheet work okay just simply hanging from the ceiling? What does everybody use?
We've projected onto a wall or a portable screen. Using a white sheet hung from the ceiling should work.
Rukkian wrote:2.I have 2+ projectors to use (I have 2 and others have said they have one), should I have GPRM and race replay on the same computer and project both on the same screen (just switch to racereplay during the race), or have them on seperate screens?

3. As an aside to the above, is it better to have racereplay and gprm on seperate computers, or all on one? I can get computers networked, but do the controls work pretty well, on different computers?
If you have two projection systems, then I'd suggest using them both. One to display GPRM Racing screen and the other to display RaceReplay. When RaceReplay is not displaying a replay, it can be displaying the live action. Though, you will need two computers networked together, if you wish GPRM to prompt RaceReplay on when to start recording and when to do the replay; otherwise, you will need to man the RaceReplay computer. Of course, the more complex the setup (hardware and software), the easier it is for something to go wrong, so it is best to give yourself enough time to make sure everything is working right.
Rukkian wrote:4. Where do you feel is the best place for the the projection screens? I have put them in near the start in the past, but can see a benefit to having them near the finish line, however, that seems like it would take away some premium seating. Since we typically have approximately 120 show up to the event (40 scouts, siblings, relatives, friends, etc) I would like to ensure we have plenty of good seats.
That's always a compromise between best viewing and where you need to place your computer(s).
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
dna1990
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Projection questions

Post by dna1990 »

Using basic sheets, usually also gives the advantage of being able to also view the image from the back side. Not as bright, and in reverse...but handy if you have either audience or crew placed on the other side.

Consider on the RR computer, to also have some photos, or powerpoint, or other 'filler'. If there is a delay, intermission, or whatever...switch that computer to running the slide show of last year's campout, etc.

As Randy mentions, often the biggest challenge in placing the screens, is the limitation of where the projector, computer, power, and cabling has to be placed.

If planning to run RR unmanned, do some rehearsal/tests at home so you know how it al will work from the master console. Consider disabling any power/screen saver settings as well.