Check in advice needed

Discussions on race planning, preparations and how to run a "fair" and fun race.
ForgottenOne
Apprentice
Apprentice

Check in advice needed

Post by ForgottenOne »

Our rules state that "All four wheels must be able to touch the track"

Intereseting phrasing so I am curious how people check this at registration.

Seems like you can't simply spin the wheels or stick a piece of paper under them. Some sort of rocking test maybe?

Every PWD speed site, book etc.. tells you to run on 3 wheels but how do you test it without being a jerk about it. registration is tonight for race on Saturday so there is time to "fix" cars if they violate rules.
Darin McGrew
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Check in advice needed

Post by Darin McGrew »

We don't have a "four on the floor" rule, so I don't have to check this at registration. ("And that's a good thing.")

I could argue that the wording of your rules allows three-wheelers, as long as the fourth wheel is somehow "able to touch the track". For example, if the car hits a bump or if someone presses down slightly on that corner of the car, the raised wheel can touch the track. Therefore, such cars meet the written requirement that "All four wheels must be able to touch the track". (However, cars that replace the fourth wheel with a pin or fin would be prohibited.)

Perhaps you meant: All four wheels must be able to touch the track simultaneously.

The best test for "four on the floor" rules that I've heard of is to slide a piece of paper under each wheel. If the wheel turns, then it's touching the surface. If the paper slides under the wheel without the wheel turning, then the wheel isn't touching the surface.
ForgottenOne
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by ForgottenOne »

The rule is written from the district exactly as "All four wheels must be able to to touch the track surface." No clarification.

I am a big fan of applying the rules as written. (let the clever people benefit from wording)

I could do the piece of paper test but I feel like I will be turning most cars away. Maybe use the same test but the testers can "rock" the cars to make them touch.
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

A couple of tests may be applied.

1. Roll the car on a true flat surface, observing that all four wheels turn.

Problems: finding a "true flat surface". If there is a question about the test surface flatness, roll the car twice on perpendicular paths. Car must pass the test on at least one of the rolls.

2. Place the car on a true flat surface. Slide a paper (common copier paper works okay) sideways under the wheels. If the paper passes all the way, reject. Hold the paper far enough from the edge that any resistance to passage causes the paper to bend. This is a very quick and reliable way to tell if the wheels are at least within 0.001" of touching.

I think that a wheel that is within 0.001" of touching but does not actually touch is a problem for the racer, since it is likely that the wheel will touch at one or more spots down the track, and each touch drains some energy.
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
ForgottenOne
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by ForgottenOne »

I have a 3 wheel car from last year. The 4th wheel free spins whn resting on a "flat surface". I can get it to roll if I push down a certain way and it will spin across the table. (I.e. I can make it pass) Seems to subjective.

The paper test I think works but my only concern is that I know a poorly constructed car will tend to be wobbly and I wonder if I will be turning away everyone and making the registration last 10 times longer than normal.

I need to be fair and not judge "intent" but this is the first year we are actually checking for this and I don't want to turn a fun event into a nightmare.
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

ForgottenOne wrote:I have a 3 wheel car from last year. The 4th wheel free spins whn resting on a "flat surface". I can get it to roll if I push down a certain way and it will spin across the table. (I.e. I can make it pass) Seems to subjective.

The paper test I think works but my only concern is that I know a poorly constructed car will tend to be wobbly and I wonder if I will be turning away everyone and making the registration last 10 times longer than normal.

I need to be fair and not judge "intent" but this is the first year we are actually checking for this and I don't want to turn a fun event into a nightmare.
Since you are inspecting for a pack race (right?), you do the best service to your Scouts if you inspect the same way the cars will be inspected if they were being checked in for district/council races. So, call the district/council race chairman and find out!
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
ForgottenOne
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by ForgottenOne »

Way ahead of you (well slightly). I e-mailed the district chair today since there was no phone info but my weigh in is in 4 hours and I'm not sure he will reply in time.
rpcarpe
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by rpcarpe »

Yup, that's some bad wording! Hardly ever seen worse. Maybe your District or Council Chairman will clarify?

My .02... let the Cub show you how his car complies with the rule.
Do what you can to make it fun, not a nightmare.
Good Luck! Let us all know how it turns out.
My wife started a new support group... Widows of the Pinewood Derby.
Rukkian
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Rukkian »

I would personally let it go, it they can get it to touch (rocking, etc), then simply tell them they may not qualify for districts, then (depending on how much time you have before districts) you could let those that qualify for districts let them know what will be checked for.

I helped with Districts in our area last year, and while they were using the same rules as council, they were definately not really enforcing some of the rules, simply telling boys that they made need to make this change or that change if they qualify for council.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

I really hate that rule. A car may pass at check-in with 4 touching, but during the race, one wheel can easily get raised either by rough handling or during deceleration in the stop section. If the car ends up being a fast car, then some parent will likely notice and complain. That and novice racers have a harder time building a car that runs 4 wheels down. Rules should be making it easier for the novice racers to compete, not harder.

It is too late for this year, but that rule should really be shelved for next year.

:soapbox:
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.