Scale is off and will not calibrate

Discussions on race planning, preparations and how to run a "fair" and fun race.
ScoJo
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Scale is off and will not calibrate

Post by ScoJo »

Our pack has a USA Scales PW5200. The scale is WAY out of whack (5 oz scale reads 3.67). I tried calibrating the scale, but it will not calibrate. I get the E0, and then a base frequency in the desired range, but it will not go to 01 to allow me to put on the weight. Any ideas?
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Scale is off and will not calibrate

Post by FatSebastian »

ScoJo wrote:Our pack has a USA Scales PW5200.
The instructions are here.
ScoJo wrote:I get the E0, and then a base frequency in the desired range, but it will not go to 01 to allow me to put on the weight.
Out of curiosity, what is the indicated base frequency? If it does not go to 01, then what does it do?

I can only offer a couple of suggestions, none of which is very much. Remove the batteries / power and let it set a few minutes. Consider replacing the battery. Also, when calibrating, do it on an isolation plate (such as a neoprene-based mousepad) to insulate from vibrations that might be keeping the scale from settling.
Last edited by FatSebastian on Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ScoJo
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by ScoJo »

The base frequency is 6472, well within the desired range. It won't move to 01 in order to place the calibration weight. I took it off of the kitchen table and out to my work bench, which is just about the most stable platform in the house. The base frequency is not bouncing around - it stays constant for minutes without ever coming up with the 01. The base frequency just stays displayed.

The race is tomorrow and this is all I needed. Argh.

I tried unplugging it. There's no battery in it. It didn't help.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

You might want to pick up a new digital scale. Office supply stores carry them. Maybe even WalMart.

Maybe some kid decided that they would press down hard and see just how high the scale would go. We had that happen at a district race and that trashed that scale. Fortunately, we had a backup scale.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

gpraceman wrote:You might want to pick up a new digital scale. Office supply stores carry them.
Agree. You might also try your local Harbor Freight. (Click here to save 20%.) We like this scale.
rpcarpe
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by rpcarpe »

My two scales are the same type of cheap scales from Harbor Freight... I couldn't convince my wife to spend $60+ for a pair of better scales.

Good luck!
My wife started a new support group... Widows of the Pinewood Derby.