Thoughts on these rules.

Discussions on race planning, preparations and how to run a "fair" and fun race.
Daddu
Journeyman
Journeyman

Re: Thoughts on these rules.

Post by Daddu »

darin_mcgrew wrote:
Daddu wrote:There, is that better
Not really. One person's "normal process" is another one's "wheel modification".

Unless you're running an "unlimited" race, you have to draw a line in the sand somewhere. I admit that there are problems with the line my church's derby uses (removing manufacturing irregularities vs. reshaping, or removing manufacturing irregularities vs. manufacturing a new wheel using the original as raw material). There are problems with the lines used by every other non-unlimited derby. We're just trying to point out the problems with the line you're trying to use for your derby.

Thanks to all,for your input. The two rules are the only changes, and we feel the only ones who will complain, are the ones that have spent countless hours in the past of tweaking the wheels to get them "just perfect". This is where the challenge of it all comes in, of not modifying the wheels. Oops sorry except for the bores, Ha,Ha,Ha :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Daddu
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Daddu »

Just a follow up. The event went well, we had 138 vehicles in total for the three classes:5oz Stock,5oz Modified,10oz Open. we also had a show class. and a "Slower than Dirt" champion.
No issues with the 5oz stock rules just a few grumbles.
For what it is worth Try a slower than dirt class for your next derby. The final race got the best cheer when the Winner finally crossed the finish line.
Mike Parrish
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Mike Parrish »

Daddu,

Do you have a hard copy of the final rules, or are they posted on the web somewhere :?:
Race Fast-
Mike Parrish
Parrish Racing
www.derbydayz.com
Retodd1200
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by Retodd1200 »

Last year we did the "no wheel mods" rule, but not to keep competition close. We did it to squelch complaints from the families that didn't modify their wheels. I think it kinda sucks that you have to punish everyone just to silence a few. Needless to say, since I'm the new derbymaster, next year, the rules will be different.
What am I gonna do when my kids are too old for Pinewood?
Daddu
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Daddu »

Retodd1200 wrote:Last year we did the "no wheel mods" rule, but not to keep competition close. We did it to squelch complaints from the families that didn't modify their wheels. I think it kinda sucks that you have to punish everyone just to silence a few. Needless to say, since I'm the new derbymaster, next year, the rules will be different.
We just added the 5oz stock rules not to punish people, but to make a new class with more restricted rules.
Mike Parrish: Do you have a hard copy of the final rules, or are they posted on the web somewhere
Answer: yes!!
Daddu
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Daddu »

Mike, sent you the rules
Mike Parrish
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Mike Parrish »

Daddu wrote:Mike, sent you the rules
Thank you. It looks like you covered everything pretty well.
Race Fast-
Mike Parrish
Parrish Racing
www.derbydayz.com
billcannon
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by billcannon »

Daddu...
I run an Awana Grand Prix and we inforce the wheel mods big time and that has beed in the awana rules for some years and we have no grumbles although some of my Awana kids are also cubc & tigers they get a little upset when we tell them they can't run their BSA car in the Grand Prix. Good with your rule and God Bless. :clap:
davekelly
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by davekelly »

A 10 oz class? The speeds must have been big time fast!
There is nothing more cool than four hands on a block of wood being cut by a scroll saw!