Thoughts on these rules.

Discussions on race planning, preparations and how to run a "fair" and fun race.
PinewoodPerformance
Merchant
Merchant

Re: Thoughts on these rules.

Post by PinewoodPerformance »

So no wheel mods because some have more skill than others? So why the inconsistancy on the axles? Why let them shape the block at all? My point is if the same people who are more skilled can make axle mods and body mods why make the ruling on the wheels? Square peg round hole?
Pinewood Performance
www.pinewood-performance.com
http://pinewoodp.proboards29.com (The other Pinewood Message Boards)
Daddu
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Daddu »

PinewoodPerformance wrote:So no wheel mods because some have more skill than others? So why the inconsistancy on the axles? Why let them shape the block at all? My point is if the same people who are more skilled can make axle mods and body mods why make the ruling on the wheels? Square peg round hole?
In our thinking process for making the rules, we wanted to eliminate the most modified item for a more equal playing field.
As far as the axles go the person can purchase axles that are modified, or use the ones in the "kit", there has been much talk about the axles in this site about the axles being pretty decent in the unmodified form.
Stan (the guru) wrote;As written it might even prohibit burnishing the bore. Difficult to inspect, tho
This is true, but we will do every thing in our power to watch for this also, don't know how but we'll see.
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

Daddu wrote:As far as the axles go the person can purchase axles that are modified, or use the ones in the "kit", there has been much talk about the axles in this site about the axles being pretty decent in the unmodified form.
Stan (the guru) wrote;As written it might even prohibit burnishing the bore. Difficult to inspect, tho
This is true, but we will do every thing in our power to watch for this also, don't know how but we'll see.
Axles, particularly the area under the nail head, are ratty and deserving of improvement. If your car is well aligned so that the wheel does not press against either the nail head or car body, then the nails "out of the box" are not too bad. :) Big "if."

Burnishing is intended to smooth off manufacturing irregularities. In Darin's words, burnishing the bore makes the wheel what it was intended to be. Gosh, the same might be said for using a lathe to smooth off the tread, making it flat across and rolling smoothly without the axle bobbing up and down.
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
PinewoodPerformance
Merchant
Merchant

I am lost, Burnishing is to polish or glaze so how does that knock of the burs and crimps? I would say it has to be done with a file or turning tool. Or is it context of the entire process.
Pinewood Performance
Darin McGrew
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Darin McGrew »

Daddu wrote:As far as the axles go the person can purchase axles that are modified, or use the ones in the "kit", there has been much talk about the axles in this site about the axles being pretty decent in the unmodified form.
That depends a lot on the kit you're using. The pin-style axles that come with some kits need very little work. The nail-style axles that come with other kits need quite a bit of work. Other kits come with two solid axles and four plastic hubcaps, and are quite a challenge (mainly because of the plastic hubcaps).

And FWIW, it's just as easy to buy lathed wheels (or sorted and matched stock wheels) as it is to buy polished, plated, perfectly machined axles.

And at what point does the wear from rolling a car's wheels (to "break in" the graphite, or to "break in" the wheels) count as "modifying" the wheels? And what's the difference between a burnished wheel bore and "broken in" wheels?
PinewoodPerformance
Merchant
Merchant

darin_mcgrew wrote: And at what point does the wear from rolling a car's wheels (to "break in" the graphite, or to "break in" the wheels) count as "modifying" the wheels? And what's the difference between a burnished wheel bore and "broken in" wheels?
Oh my Gosh I agree! Because if you do graphite correctly you are burnishing!
Pinewood Performance
Daddu
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Daddu »

And FWIW, it's just as easy to buy lathed wheels (or sorted and matched stock wheels) as it is to buy polished, plated, perfectly machined axles.
I know I used lathe turned wheels last year. And finished 6th

And at what point does the wear from rolling a car's wheels (to "break in" the graphite, or to "break in" the wheels) count as "modifying" the wheels?
When it changes the tread profile
And what's the difference between a burnished wheel bore and "broken in" wheels?
Where's Alex Trebeck when you need him. :mrgreen:
PinewoodPerformance
Merchant
Merchant

in Canada...
Pinewood Performance
Daddu
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Daddu »

PinewoodPerformance wrote:in Canada...
OHHHHHHH, I'm sorry you didn't phrase that in a question. :shocked:

The correct answer is: "What is Canada"?? :wall:
Stan as you were the last one with a correct response you have control of the board. :tellme:
Darin McGrew
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Darin McGrew »

I wrote:And at what point does the wear from rolling a car's wheels (to "break in" the graphite, or to "break in" the wheels) count as "modifying" the wheels?
Daddu wrote:When it changes the tread profile
I'm confused. Are you prohibiting modifications to the wheels, or are you prohibiting only modifications to the tread profile?
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

PinewoodPerformance wrote:I am lost, Burnishing is to polish or glaze so how does that knock of the burs and crimps? I would say it has to be done with a file or turning tool. Or is it context of the entire process.
With due respect to the Trebeck comment ...

Q: What is the process called in which a smooth cylinder / axle is placed within the bore of a wheel and the wheel is rolled while maintaining pressure on the axle?

A: Burnishing the wheel bore
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
Daddu
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Daddu »

Any and All modifications to the wheels are prohibited.
Daddu
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Daddu »

Stan Pope wrote:
PinewoodPerformance wrote:I am lost, Burnishing is to polish or glaze so how does that knock of the burs and crimps? I would say it has to be done with a file or turning tool. Or is it context of the entire process.
With due respect to the Trebeck comment ...

Q: What is the process called in which a smooth cylinder / axle is placed within the bore of a wheel and the wheel is rolled while maintaining pressure on the axle?

A: Burnishing the wheel bore
Okay for all you pine-heads, "We will consider that to be part of the normal process a person goes through to ensure there is an ample amount of lubricant coverage to the bore of the wheel.
There, is that better :stern: LOL
Darin McGrew
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Darin McGrew »

Daddu wrote:Any and All modifications to the wheels are prohibited.
Including burnishing the wheel bore by inserting a lubricated axle and spinning the wheel on the axle under load? Including burnishing the wheel bore by some other means? How would you tell the difference?
Darin McGrew
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Darin McGrew »

Daddu wrote:There, is that better
Not really. One person's "normal process" is another one's "wheel modification".

Unless you're running an "unlimited" race, you have to draw a line in the sand somewhere. I admit that there are problems with the line my church's derby uses (removing manufacturing irregularities vs. reshaping, or removing manufacturing irregularities vs. manufacturing a new wheel using the original as raw material). There are problems with the lines used by every other non-unlimited derby. We're just trying to point out the problems with the line you're trying to use for your derby.