Inherited this years race

Discussions on race planning, preparations and how to run a "fair" and fun race.
PhantomVirus
Pine Head
Pine Head

Inherited this years race

Post by PhantomVirus »

So our PwD dad just moved - bad divorce situation & he just up & left the state - and I am now left to run the race (2 weeks out).

We have a Besttrack (4 lanes all aluminum) a CD of K2 Fast track Software and the K2 Laser start device.

We have a Serial to USB cable with UNKNOWN drivers (Belkin which is Believe is a bad thing), Multiple laptops with XP, Vista, Win 7/8

Any help / advice on what I need to do / buy in order to run a proper race?

I imagine I need USB/Serial cable that works with modern OS'es (this stuff looks Circa 2005), race management software (GrandPrix 11/12?) etc.....

Any step by step guides? Really appreciate anything from you folks.

Thanks

Ron
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Inherited this years race

Post by Stan Pope »

Looks like we are all waiting for Randy to answer the questions!

Be very careful of the Laser Start Gate ... adjustment/alignment is critical. If not aligned just right, you can get false times that really mess up timed racing results. Test by shaking and banging on the start end of the track.

Have an alternative such as no-chart quintuple elimination racing in your back pocket in case the hardware situation does not sort out successfully. For pack racing, 2 at a time is probably better than 3 at a time.
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Older USB to Serial Adapters (pre-Windows Vista) can have problems on Vista, 7 and 8, so you may want to get a newer one that supports those. You can find these locally, at BestBuy and Radio Shack.

Having a long (40 - 50 ft) serial cable gives you flexibility in where you can place the computer in relation to the timer. I prefer to have the computer close to the start gate. You likely will not find a long one locally, unless you want to build one from parts from Radio Shack.

I am not a fan of the laser start sensor system. Here's why. Less trouble to use the mechanical switch.

Having race management software is certainly a help, but you do need to make sure that you practice with it enough to be comfortable. That and to make sure you get your timer talking to the computer.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
PhantomVirus
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by PhantomVirus »

Thanks Randy - I see why you state that the laser is a finicky beast. I ordered the latest USB/Serial adapter from your site along with the GP software. Any wyi I can get a registration code Monday (please) - I need to test and make sure I know what I am doing asap....BTW MonoPrice.COM has those long serial cables and they are INEXPENSIVE vs BB or RadioShack.

So - What is the 'best' way to mount that mechanical switch onto the track? It's a BestTrack 4 lane setup and I see no simple mounting option to get that switch to stay where I need it to be. Also - I am in 100% agreement with you on the switch vs laser. the mechanical switch simply & elegantly just WORKS - I was playing with an old PC with a serial port this afternoon.
*5 J's*
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by *5 J's* »

PhantomVirus wrote: So - What is the 'best' way to mount that mechanical switch onto the track? It's a BestTrack 4 lane setup and I see no simple mounting option to get that switch to stay where I need it to be. Also - I am in 100% agreement with you on the switch vs laser. the mechanical switch simply & elegantly just WORKS - I was playing with an old PC with a serial port this afternoon.
Our Microwizard kit came with the laser timer but we don't use due to the issues I read here.

Is your switch mounted to a piece of aluminum angle? Ours came this way with a 1/4" hole drilled for mounting. If so, you just need to slide a 1/4" bolt into one of the channels of the track - then mount the switch to the bolt. You can view this instruction sheet here on the microwizard site
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

PhantomVirus wrote:Thanks Randy - I see why you state that the laser is a finicky beast. I ordered the latest USB/Serial adapter from your site along with the GP software. Any wyi I can get a registration code Monday (please) - I need to test and make sure I know what I am doing asap....
We usually have a huge stack of orders on a Monday, but we should be able to get them all processed and emails sent out before the close of business.
PhantomVirus wrote:So - What is the 'best' way to mount that mechanical switch onto the track? It's a BestTrack 4 lane setup and I see no simple mounting option to get that switch to stay where I need it to be.
A simple L-bracket will work. Drill a 3/8" hole in one leg and use a 1/4" nut and bolt to secure it to one of the channels under the track. Mount the switch to the other leg of the L-bracket. You can pickup some aluminum L-angle at Home Depot or Lowes.
PhantomVirus wrote:Also - I am in 100% agreement with you on the switch vs laser. the mechanical switch simply & elegantly just WORKS - I was playing with an old PC with a serial port this afternoon.
I like the side benefit that the switch provides. If you have an empty lane or a car that doesn't finish, simply raise the gate (after all other cars have finished) to get the timer to send the results. No need to hand wave over the finish sensor or use a dummy car.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
PhantomVirus
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by PhantomVirus »

*5 J's* wrote: Is your switch mounted to a piece of aluminum angle? Ours came this way with a 1/4" hole drilled for mounting. If so, you just need to slide a 1/4" bolt into one of the channels of the track - then mount the switch to the bolt. You can view this instruction sheet here on the microwizard site
Loose switch in a plastic bag with a long RJ11 cord attached. That's it :-(

I need to get into the shed this week and pullout the start gate.

THANKS everyone - really THANK YOU all.
PhantomVirus
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by PhantomVirus »

Raceday completed - thanks for all the help folks. We were able to use the manual switch vs. the laser and I bought (luckily) a new USB/Serial connector and everything worked.