BSA wheel diameter go/no go limits?

Discussions on race planning, preparations and how to run a "fair" and fun race.
Go Bubba Go
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

BSA wheel diameter go/no go limits?

Post by Go Bubba Go »

Just curious, for those BSAers that use a Go / No Go gauge for checking wheel diameter, what dimension do you use for your gauge?

1.180 inches?

1.170 inches?

Looking at 1.180 as our rules are pretty restrictive (light sanding only), but getting some pushback from folks who think you can't true a new wheel without getting under 1.18.

Comments?
"Who's Grandpa's neighbor?"... Phil Davis, Down and Derby
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: BSA wheel diameter go/no go limits?

Post by Speedster »

You asked for Comments so I should be able to stay on Topic.

It doesn't matter. Vendors advertise machined wheels at 1.180. I'm curious as to how someone can make a wheel round with (light sanding only). I've read everything on DT what experts have to do using lathes to make a good wheel. We have that same stupid rule. I used "Medium Sanding" last year and I've felt guilty ever since - - plus the lousy wheel wasn't round. What do you think is really in the minds of the people who are complaining about the diameter restriction?

A Wise Man once said, "Use the tread mark and put the calipers away". Fortunately, we do use the tread mark.
Best,
Bill Klingler
knotthed
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by knotthed »

Here are some wheel specs posted on the internet and I suspect these were posted when the new wheels came out in 2009.

Winderby - Wheel Diameter:1.184" - 1.187"
MaxV - Raw Wheels: 1.182" to 1.185"

So pubished data suggests; 1.182" - 1.187" for diameters at time of initial release. (Do we know the manufacturing specifications from BSA?)

Now lets say that there is variation in the manufacturing process due to die/mold wear and refurbishment, but for the sake of this discussion lets leave this out of the equation.

Let's also agree that there will be differences in measuring the size of said wheels (that's why manufacturing industries use GR&R's - gage reliability and repeatability tests), but for the sake of this discussion lets leave this out of the equation.

Let's also say that standard gaging practices would dictate that your gage would need to have resolution 10x greater than your specification, so if we were measuring to .001" you would need a gage that is capable of measuring to .0001" to have accurate readings on size, but for the sake of this discussion lets leave this out of the equation.

If we take a low end wheel at 1.182" does your group all agree that a cub and or parent can remove less than the average thickness of a human hair (.003) to true up a wheel? :whew: Now it might be easier if you are lucky enough to get some large wheels at 1.187".....

Let's also keep in mind that when removing material from a wheel the amount of material removed from the outside surface is half of the difference in diameter. So a cub and or parent would have to remove .001 or less from the outside diameter surface to keep the wheel within the 1.180 specification.

Doesn't sound very practical to me given the circumstances :thinking: :scratching: :eek: :wall: :sweating: :idk:

Please keep us informed and let us know what your group decides.
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

Welcome back GBG! It's been a while since we've last heard from you.
Go Bubba Go wrote:our rules are pretty restrictive (light sanding only), but getting some pushback from folks who think you can't true a new wheel without getting under 1.18.
Do new wheels need to be "trued"? If so, can one actually "true" the new wheels by "light sanding only"?

There was some discussion last month about which criterion might be best in order to catch professionally modified wheels; I think it was concluded that either criterion can be sidestepped by professionals, but 1.180" is harder.
MaxV
Merchant
Merchant

Post by MaxV »

When I introduced the Wheel Go/No Gauge, my intent was the following:

- No Wheel Modification Allowed - If the wheels may not be sanded or modified in any way, then use the 1.180 OD gauge and the .360 width gauge.

- Wheel Modification Allowed - If the wheels may be sanded or lathed, then use the 1.170 OD gauge and the .320 width gauge.

Of course, these dimensions and rules need to be clearly stated in the official rules so that everyone is aware of them.
knotthed
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by knotthed »

Randy,

That is great background information on your gage!

Thanks for posting.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

Randy, I think no one is concerned with your gauge or criticizing you for anything. The wheels can easily be measured with a micrometer. I think the issue is showing you cannot stop a dedicated builder and 99.99% of the rest of the folks don't care what rule is made on the wheels.
knotthed
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by knotthed »

Speedster,

I think Randy's gage is a great idea for race organizers that want to establish a size limit.

I cannot imagine measuring every entrants wheels with a micrometer! That would be unbelievably time consuming. Randy's gage offers a very quick way to establish compliance of the wheel diameter to a set size.

I also like the idea that you must still be able to see the thread dots on the side. Does anyone know at what diameter the thread dots dissappear at?

The thread dots are obviously the most parent/cub and race organizer friendly - no gages needed. I could see the dots causing some issues though - how much of the dot must be visible, should it be all the way around the wheel? Different peoples eyesight is of different quality etc...

There is no doubt that Randy's gage would offer the most consistency in my opinion. The only time you might have a problem is if the thing is dropped or stepped on it could become bent and out of size tolerance, as with any type of gage it should be double checked before you start using it.
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

(1) FWIW, I turned down four orange wheels (made in USA and sold at BSA store during the past year or two) to "good" running state with diameter 1.182". (They won't be "run" but rather they will be used to evaluate some new axle treatments. I was not thinking about this thread when I turned the wheels or I'd have checked the original OD's.)

(2) Every racer deserves the right to know when they are building that difficult to alter at race time parts are legal without haveing to buy a relatively expensive gage. Specifically, while a size limit for wheel diameter is easy to check during inspection, failure is difficult to correct at that time. The term "light sanding" is too imprecise to be a guide during building. And since there is advantage to heavier "light sanding" than lighter, the builder risks DQ if the "light sanding" is too heavy and poorer performance if the "light sanding" is too light. The builder should be able to know that his wheels are legal as he is preparing them ... without buying a gage or caliper. This is why I proposed the Wotamalo OD rule as based on wheel features instead of wheel diameter.
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

Stan, looking forward to the info on the axle treatments. Do you think this information might be available before March 16th? Thank you.
rpcarpe
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by rpcarpe »

We also avoid the wheel size controversy by allowing the kids to modify their BSA wheels in anyway they want except for two:
- Cannot increase diameter
- Cannot make the wheel bore smaller

I've got Dads and older brothers learning to work wheels on the lathe, and Cubs working the Wheel Shaver to lighten and true their wheels. I also keep a jar of 'wheel attempts' to study before embarking on extensive wheel modifications.
My wife started a new support group... Widows of the Pinewood Derby.
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

:offtopic:
Speedster wrote:Stan, looking forward to the info on the axle treatments. Do you think this information might be available before March 16th? Thank you.
I estimate about 4 more hours of case preparation, 40 hours of data gathering and a few hours of data crunching. The remaining question is whether the results are worth publishing. If so, then a bunch more hours of preparation. :pray:

At this point, I have completed the experimental plan and data sheets, but I'm only a few hours into case preparation.

I am slowed a bit because my camera is out on loan!
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

Definitely worth publishing. If anything shows a gain, or loss for that matter, I'd like to try it out.
Ickabod
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by Ickabod »

Speedster wrote:Definitely worth publishing. If anything shows a gain, or loss for that matter, I'd like to try it out.
+1
There are only two seasons: baseball season and The Void. - Jonathan Yardley