How Much Does Paint Weigh

How to have useful construction workshops.
davem
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

How Much Does Paint Weigh

Post by davem »

Our construction workshop is this Saturday.

We are going to leave the painting to be done by the kids at home.

Question: How much underweight should we make the cars so the paint doesn't tip the scales at weigh in?

Anyone know if either Acrylic or spray paint will add a significant (~0.1 oz) to the finished car?
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: How Much Does Paint Weigh

Post by gpraceman »

Paint only adds a few grams (hundredths of a ounce). We generally weight up to 4.9 oz and then do the last weight adjustment at check-in.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
pwdarchitect
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by pwdarchitect »

DAVE,

The brush on paint will weigh more than the spray on type. Yes, it does add just a few grams for the spray type but it would be the brush on type that I would be more concerned about making sure that there is enough play in the weight adjustment. I would go to about 4.8 ounces in all cases and have some lead tape at check in for those who didn't quite make it to the 5.0 ounces with the paint.

Jim
scoutfrog
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by scoutfrog »

Speaking from experence this year, I can tell you that when applied by my 9yr old 2 coats of gray primer,3coats of neon orange paint,1 clear coat, assorted dry trensfers and another clear coat , put his finished car over by .21 oz. just my .02 cents worth.
davem
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by davem »

Thanks for the all the input.

We had our construction night Saturday and everyone walked out the door with a 4.8 oz car without paint.

Another great tip from this site that we used and I would highly recommend:

Using pennies for weights.
A 3/4" Forstner bit and about $5 in rolled pennies worked wonderfully for the kids. They could operate the drill press, load their pennies in and finish off with wood putty. Big Hit.

The kids had a contest to see who had the "most expensive" car....
The 34 cent car won...but I didn't tell them about the $20 worth of tungsten in my son's car.