eBay car. Would YOU Stomp it or let it Pass?

General discussions for car and semi-truck racers.

eBay car. Stomp it or let is pass?

Poll ended at Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:10 am

Stomp it!
73%
Let it Pass
27%

Total votes: 22

sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: eBay car. Would YOU Stomp it or let it Pass?

Post by sporty »

Well,

Ya thats the funny thing.

The people that gave times, did not mention track length.

Then the ones that gave track length. Did not mention times, as they stated they did not have a track timer.

They just measured against a known fast car.

It's crazy to buy a $100 car not knowing real results.

Sporty
Rainman
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Rainman »

Only If you can prove without a reasonable doubt would I DQ the car. I would strongly advise the parent to help his son build a car. If the parent refuses, then car does not go on the track and I would not allow it to be judged in the workmanship/paint or most unusual contests.

My main conern is not to alienate the parent. It would be a shame to loose a boy.

I don't envy your situation.

Parents purchasing cars, speed wheels or even axles in my opinon, is just part of a societal trend. It seems as if more and more parents are less willing to spend time with their children. We see this all the time in Cub Scouting. New parents enroll their children and find out that Scouting involves parent participation. Most parents today are used to dropped their children off at ball games and not having to participate. Kind of like "babysitting". Scouting is about teaching values. Scout leaders teach the boys values and sometimes the parents too.

I'll get off my soapbox, the whole subject about purchased cars and speed equipment trips my trigger.

JR
Part of Richmond KY Pack 376. Midland Trail District.
2kids10horses
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by 2kids10horses »

Rainman:

As long as the father and son work on the car together, the spirit of PWD is being preserved. The point is they spend time together working on a common goal.

Winning is nice, but it's the car building process and shared time together that the kid will remember.

2K10H
Lucky13
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Lucky13 »

Here's a great idea(imo) that one of our local packs is doing to help eliminate ebay cars. All the blocks are stamped(prior to being handed out) on the bottom with a custom stamp the pack had made. On race day you better have the stamp on the bottom or your not racing. Seems to be working out good for them.
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

Lucky,

That is a good concept. How are you able to keep the stamp mark on the wood ?

If the car is cut alot or painted ? are they required to use the stock axle slots ?

Sporty
Lucky13
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Lucky13 »

This idea is being used by another pack in are area. I guess they've had some issues with questionable cars over the last few years and came up with the idea. I'm assuming they are using a ink stamp similar to what WIRL uses. The ink absorbs into the wood so you wouldn't have to worry about it wiping off. I'm not sure where on the bottom they are placing the stamp, or how big it is. I will try to find out for you. They are required to use stock axle slot. I think it's a great idea, you could get a small stamp 1/2inch by 1/2 for hardly anything. It would be small enough not to take away from the design of the car and if the stamp did get in the way of a design you could easily bring the car to a den/pack meeting and explain that you need the stamp in another location.
RMoose
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by RMoose »

sporty wrote: If the car is cut alot or painted ? are they required to use the stock axle slots ?
Sporty,

To make this idea work I think you would need to leave the area of the block that is stamped unpainted so that the stamp can be seen during inspection. With a small enough stamp it shouldn't be a big restriction on car design, but that is something to consider before adopting a stamp.

But if you've had problems with bought cars in the past, I think it would be worth a try.
We are Ambassadors for Christ
SpinDoctor
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by SpinDoctor »

Also stamp every inch of the block, that way it can be cut however the scout sees fit and some of the stamp will be left
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

My questions were in responce to how they were doing the stamp method.

So, I was not for sure if there was some confusion to thiking that my sons pack does this.

They don't, But when mentioned, it brings out a good idea to try. So perhaps future packs who stop in at the forum and view the postings.

Might try this in the future.

Sporty