Krytox 100

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
blcrow33
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Krytox 100

Post by blcrow33 »

Our rules this year do not allow graphite so I thought I would try Krytox 100. We turn our cars in the day before the race and then we race all day without adding any lube to the cars. Is there any concern with the Krytox evaperating or not holding up for a long period of time during the race? How long can I expect the Krytox to last. I read somewhere about 20 heats. That is not long at all. Will this eventually evaperate from sitting around all day and night?
MaxV
Merchant
Merchant

Re: Krytox 100

Post by MaxV »

Krytox does evaporate, but quite slowly. The spec is that at 150 deg F, over a 22 hour period, 11% will evaporate. There is no spec for normal room temperature, but my estimate is that the evaporation would be 1 or 2% max per day.

In our tests, Krytox easily held up for 20 heats. We didn't run any longer than that to see when the breakdown actually occured.
Lucky13
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Lucky13 »

You can check out MaxV's web-site for the proper way to apply krytox. Is this a BSA race? I've never heard of a BSA race allowing wet lube and not allowing dry lube??
Maxxsacrifice
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by Maxxsacrifice »

Here is link where this got started.
http://derbytalk.com/viewtopic.php?p=19 ... ght=#19428

I think his council has gone crazy.I have never used the stuff,but the white teflon sounds like a good reason for doing away with a derby.Maybe just another way to try and level the playing field so to speak.I particularly don't care for it.
Buckeye
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by Buckeye »

I have gone 3 months without relubing and have seen the times improve. Be thankful they allow Krytox.