Dad's 2007 1st Place Winner! (Now onto District)

Show off your cool vehicle designs and track burning speedsters!
RaceFan
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Dad's 2007 1st Place Winner! (Now onto District)

Post by RaceFan »

I had to use naptha (lighter fluid) to get all the graphite off the white decals after the pack race last weekend. It all came off and I re-sprayed it with clear coat. I hope it's not overweight now! If it is, I'm out of luck at the district in May! :cry:

This was so much fun to build. Contrary to popular opinion, balsa wood sides work fine. They're not fragile at all as I found out when I had to sand the inside to keep the sides from rubbing on the center lane. I realized it was going to rub the center strip the night before the race. It wouldn't have even made it down the track!!! That would've been a bit embarassing! Surprisingly, balsa (with all the paint, primer & clearcoat), is TOUGH!!!

PWD
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Dad's 2007 1st Place Winner! (Now onto District)

Post by PWD »

Beautiful car! Congrats on the 1st place finish!!
ciodude
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by ciodude »

Wonderful looking car! Painting is far from my strong suit, but how did you paint the tiny raised letters on the wheels? It looks so expertly done.
RaceFan
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by RaceFan »

ciodude wrote:Wonderful looking car! Painting is far from my strong suit, but how did you paint the tiny raised letters on the wheels? It looks so expertly done.
Thanks for the compliments, guys!

The letters are tough and to be honest, they don't look that great close up. It was just done with testors yellow model paint and a trimmed model paint brush. I believe they do make any car look more like it's got Goodyear Eagles racing tires on. Graphite smudges, paint mishaps, etc., add to that "weathered - been racing all day" look.

I've actually been tweaking this car and it should do better at the district although it doesn't have an extended wheelbase (which is allowed). We may get smoked by an extended wheelbase car in the adult division but we never back down from a PWD challenge!!!! ;)