Band Saw Recommendations

How to have useful construction workshops.
redshift
Apprentice
Apprentice

Band Saw Recommendations

Post by redshift »

I am thinking about buying a band saw. What ones would you recommend in the $100 to $200 range? (if you can get a decent one in this price range)
Thanks for you input.
P.
Pinewood Daddy
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Band Saw Recommendations

Post by Pinewood Daddy »

I've got the Ryobi BS902, $99. It works well but the supplied blade didn't cut straight. I bought a Home Depot replacement and it works fine. It doesn't have the power to resaw lumber but works great for building Pinewood Derby cars.
Darin McGrew
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Darin McGrew »

I got a Ryobi several years ago and I've been happy with it. It is used mostly during derby season, although I get it out for household projects occasionally as well.

My main recommendation is to get a two-wheel bandsaw, rather than a three-wheel bandsaw, unless you really need the extra throat-depth of the three-wheel bandsaws. The other bandsaw we use at our workshops is a three-wheel bandsaw, and it breaks blades much faster than my two-wheel bandsaw does. (Actually, mine hasn't broken a blade yet, but I've replaced blades that have gotten dull.)

Do take the time to set up the bandsaw properly. A modest effort up front can make a huge difference.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Personally, I'd steer away from a bandsaw and get a scroll saw instead. Bandsaws are too dangerous for the kids to operate, but they can use a scroll saw (with guidance, of course). I got a Ryobi scroll saw for $99 from Home Depot that has worked out well.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Pinewood Daddy
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Pinewood Daddy »

I've got the Ryobi scroll saw also. It vibrates too much. I mounted it to a piece of 3/4" plywood and put it on a piece of 3/4" rubber and it's usable. I've read the scroll saw can be very versatile. I ment to get some better blades. Mikesworkshop.com will send you a couple of free blades as suggested by Doug-in-the-woods in this thread. http://derbytalk.com/viewtopic.php?t=27 ... s&start=18

More talk about Scroll saw vs. Band saw. http://derbytalk.com/viewtopic.php?t=2748
Go Bubba Go
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Go Bubba Go »

Have to agree with the feedback above on 2 points:

1) We also have the Ryobi $99 band saw from Home Depot. We typically buy a finer blade for cutting PWD blocks (takes a bit more time, but a little patience with cutting saves A LOT of sanding / filling).

2) If we had it to do over again, we'd go for a Scroll Saw instead. Partly safety for the boys, partly safety for me. I do some detail cuts with it at times and often find myself worrying about it's ability to take off a finger in the event of an ooopps (blade slip / break, or just plain dumb move on my part :oops: ).

Bubba
"Who's Grandpa's neighbor?"... Phil Davis, Down and Derby
Pinewood Daddy
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Pinewood Daddy »

Go Bubba Go wrote:1) We also have the Ryobi $99 band saw from Home Depot. We typically buy a finer blade for cutting PWD blocks (takes a bit more time, but a little patience with cutting saves A LOT of sanding / filling).

2) If we had it to do over again, we'd go for a Scroll Saw instead. Partly safety for the boys, partly safety for me. I do some detail cuts with it at times and often find myself worrying about it's ability to take off a finger in the event of an ooopps (blade slip / break, or just plain dumb move on my part :oops: ).

Bubba
I tried a finer blade (band saw, made at work) but it would pack up quickly.

I need to get some new blades for the scroll saw and use it more.
Nitro Dan
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Nitro Dan »

We had two workshops in December (third one is in January). At the first workshop we had a scroll saw. It did the job but was very slow in making the cuts. Because of that it caused a backup in the line for using it. One of the guys offered to bring in a band saw at the second workshop. I was a bit hesitant about it, but agreed (hopefully) for the sake of speed. It was a large Ryobi band saw (didn't get the model number) and the speed was incredible. Although we didn't let any of the boys use it, many of the parents did their cutting on it and I was very impressed with the results.

I would still rather see us use the scroll saws (for safety reasons), but I must admit that the band saw was definitely the way to go for getting it done fast.

-Nitro Dan
Take good and make it great. Take fast and make it faster. Performance drives success!
Pinewood Daddy
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Pinewood Daddy »

Nitro Dan wrote:At the first workshop we had a scroll saw. It did the job but was very slow in making the cuts. Because of that it caused a backup in the line for using it. One of the guys offered to bring in a band saw at the second workshop. I was a bit hesitant about it, but agreed (hopefully) for the sake of speed. It was a large Ryobi band saw (didn't get the model number) and the speed was incredible. Although we didn't let any of the boys use it, many of the parents did their cutting on it and I was very impressed with the results.

I would still rather see us use the scroll saws (for safety reasons), but I must admit that the band saw was definitely the way to go for getting it done fast.
I agree with you totally! The band saw is much quicker. I just set mine up to make a few cuts. I didn't use the scroll saw much because it was so slow (and vibrates too much).

Last year at the workshops I would only have 2 people building at the same time. Since I have both saws there wasn't a backup. My workshops are scheduled for (5) Saturdays for (2) people each at 11am, 1pm & 3pm. Not all slots are filled. We only have 22 kids this year and not all will take advantage of the workshops.
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

If "getting the job done fast" were the goal, I'd totally agree with the band saw choice. But consider that it sacrifices the Cub Scout's participation. That cost is too high for me.
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
Pinewood Daddy
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Pinewood Daddy »

Stan Pope wrote:If "getting the job done fast" were the goal, I'd totally agree with the band saw choice. But consider that it sacrifices the Cub Scout's participation. That cost is too high for me.
Unfortunately at my workshops it's all about getting it done quickly (not my choice). Most of the fathers did all of the work and just wanted it done!

My boys have done more of the work every year. My Web 2 will be doing all the work with some assistance, whether he likes it or not! Alignment is still too time consuming for them to do or comprehend. He WILL understand what and why it is done this time.
Nitro Dan
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Nitro Dan »

The pack I'm with has about 70 kids and this was the first year for hosting a workshop. We only had about a third show up, but unfortunately only had one scroll saw. We also had a nice Miter Saw/Box bolted to a work bench that they could use as well. We taught Stan's method for cutting the cars on it (since his method is about 5000 times better than using a coping saw). Still the biggest thing the parents seem to gripe about was that it took to long to cut the blocks. Bringing in the band saw at the next session reduced the lines to next to nothing and no one griped after that.

I like the idea of having the cubs do the cutting. Hopefully by having a band saw and a scroll saw we can give the cub the option of cutting the car himself or having someone do it for them. This way the cub/parent team can make the decision on which to use, based on how much time they have to spend at the workshop.

-Nitro Dan
Take good and make it great. Take fast and make it faster. Performance drives success!
Pinewood Daddy
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Pinewood Daddy »

I designed and built an adjustable angle wedge cutting fixture for the band saw. The blade is always protected behind the wood and a built in stop keeps the blade from being exposed after cutting. Completely kid friendly! And fast!
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

Nitro Dan wrote:We also had a nice Miter Saw/Box bolted to a work bench that they could use as well. We taught Stan's method for cutting the cars on it (since his method is about 5000 times better than using a coping saw).
The "miter box method" is not "mine". It had been used and demonstrated by others, including one of the early members of the Pinewood Derby Racing WebRing who showed some great pix. I simply pass it on as an alternative for others who want the youngster to have "the whole experience" but don't have a scroll saw nor enough friends to host them on their own saws. :)

It appears that the cutting is the "pinch point" in the process. Would it be better to schedule folks through with staggered arrivals so that boys can do the job themselves with minimal waiting?
Stan
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

Pinewood Daddy wrote:I designed and built an adjustable angle wedge cutting fixture for the band saw. The blade is always protected behind the wood and a built in stop keeps the blade from being exposed after cutting. Completely kid friendly! And fast!
Cool! Pix and plans???
Stan