Scoring method question

Discussions on race preparation, race management, sound effects, and other race related software. This is only for software provided by our sponsor, GrandPrix Software Central.
blcrow33
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Scoring method question

Post by blcrow33 »

We use the GPRM software and we run each car in each line twice. We have the software set up for time scoring and we throw out the worst time for each race. Is there a difference if you use the average of all heats compared to the cumulative total of all heats minus the time we throw out of course? Will we get the same results using both of these options? I think it does not matter which way you go, the standings will be the same.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Scoring method question

Post by gpraceman »

Racers do have an easier time comparing performance relative to others with average time, but it's funny because what people really tend to do is use the average speed for that.

One advantage of using average time is that you can periodically display the standings during the race, even if some racers have raced one more time than others. However, that is not something that I recommend at all. The slower racers know they are out of it pretty quickly, but not so much for the middle of the pack racers. Showing the standings can cause these racers to lose interest, since they see they are out of the running for the trophies. I think it is better to keep the standings a bit of a mystery until the racing is over for that round.

Other than that, there is no difference between cumualtive scoring and average scoring. Throwing out the worst time affects both.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
blcrow33
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Scoring method question

Post by blcrow33 »

Thanks Randy. That is what I thought.