Other RR methods?

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
doct1010
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Other RR methods?

Post by doct1010 »

meancar wrote: I also think that it is needed from the start. But, I think that it may take more to stay on the rail on the slope than is needed during the flat.
Am I going down the right road? Anyone have any comments?
Maybe or maybe not. How about the transition where certain forces change and exert influence?
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

meancar wrote:If a car were able to stand vertical, balancing on a starting pin in the center of the nose, with the CM set in the back and laterally centered between rear wheels, the car would stand up straight.
Interesting perspective, Jim. It is good to try to recast a problem in a new light! Congrats!

My concern in this case is that when it is in motion on the slope, the car is not standing on its nose. Rather, it is standing "on the friction from its wheels" and standing "on its inertia." These are at drastically different points around the car! And, so, the leverages will be vastly different!
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
WarpSpeedINC
Merchant
Merchant

Post by WarpSpeedINC »

Posted some pics of our offset cars in the photo section.
Quite a learning experience going through the testing of not only weight offset, but dominant front wheel offset also. Found some interesting results with weight placement! :shock:

Check out "Pure Energy" Not only weight offset but .300 offset in dominant front wheel!
That car was definetly an exercise in "what if?"
Fast, but terribly sensative to EVERYTHING!!! :doh:

I just spent about 20 minutes typing about all I know on this subject and lost it all. :oops:
Take a look at the pictures (and the progresion) and we'll get back to it later!
Anything worth doing, is worth over doing!
meancar
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by meancar »

Dang it! I thought I was on to something there...... I'll be crawling back under my rock now. :oops: