PWD "background" activities

General race coordinator discussions.
SteveJahr
Journeyman
Journeyman

PWD "background" activities

Post by SteveJahr »

Ok I stole this idea from a Girl Scout PowderPuff Derby, but the basic concept is that while the PWD race is a primary activity, it is not enough to keep a boy's interest for the entire time. Thus rather than have boys running around like Lord of the Flies it is a good idea to provide a more suitable outlet.

Thus the notion of a background activity.

This year I had PWD car stands kitted for the boys to assemble. My pack committee thought this was great. But one of the 'do better next year' comments was to have more activities. So I am fishing for ideas that have been used by others.

Thanks,
Steve Jahr
knifeman
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: PWD "background" activities

Post by knifeman »

For years at our PWD, we have had an activities table. Games, puzzles, and such. But the most popular thing we do is a cakewalk. We get baked goods donations and give those and other prizes to the 'winners'. We also get prize donations from local merchants and have a raffle.

Since we race by ranks in a staggered schedule all day, there are never too many kids there at one time, so we don't need tons of things to keep them busy. I don't know if that is your packs' approach, but those things work for us.

Glenn
MathGuy
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by MathGuy »

Racing in "ranks" with different check in times really does keep the kids under control. The only boys running around are the sons of the race judges and workers, the rest of them are racing.

FOOD Tables is a great way to offset the cost of a pinewood derby. Great way to offset the costs of a food table. As this year's derby chairmen, I made sure I had someone organizing the food table so that we can bring in the cash. Figure to net 5-10 dollars per family if you run it right.
Fun for one, Fun for all.
Rob D
zaytran
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by zaytran »

This year we combined our race with a BBQ. It also helped to get started earlier because the people did not have to eat dinner prior to attending.

Cheers,
Ted

http://www.scouts.cc/461/2003-2004/pinewood-2004.htm