Integration of multiple systems/multiple software

Discussions on race preparation, race management, sound effects, and other race related software. This is only for software provided by our sponsor, GrandPrix Software Central.
pack529holycross
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Integration of multiple systems/multiple software

Post by pack529holycross »

In coordinating the efforts of all involved with two different Derby Events, I want to leverage our capabilities in the most effective ways. To that end, I have a few questions:

1. what are the recommended types of visual hardware to use with Video Replay ( camera type, field of view requirements, specific brand recommendations or cautions based on trial and error, etc. )

2. can video replay be operated independent of GPRM on a separate laptop

3. can video replay ( single instance ) be set up to run more than one POV simultaneously, for added replay effect

4. Is there a scenario where wifi or bluetooth could be leveraged to un-tether the actual camera(s) from the controlling laptop

DERBYDMV

1. can derby DMV be run on a separate system ( at the registration area )

2. can a system running Derby DMV transmit any updated dbase data wirelessly ( or via email ) to the system running GPRM to update management dbase
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Integration of multiple systems/multiple software

Post by gpraceman »

pack529holycross wrote:1. what are the recommended types of visual hardware to use with Video Replay ( camera type, field of view requirements, specific brand recommendations or cautions based on trial and error, etc. )
If both your computer and your video camera have a FireWire connection (also called IEEE-1394 or i-Link) then that is the best bet for compatibility. Though, you are limited in cable length for such a connection.

The other possible way to connect your computer to the video camera is via a video capture device. It will allow you to use a composite video or S-Video cable, which gives you more flexibility in computer placement. The capture device will plug to a USB port on the computer.

RaceReplay will work with capture devices that support Microsoft DirectShow technology. Though, you might be hard pressed to find out if a specific capture device does or does not, since it doesn't seem to be something that manufactures list. Some capture devices have a proprietary interface, so you have to use their video software. Unfortunately, the best way to check compatibility is to actually try it out with RaceReplay. We do carry a capture device that we have tested with RaceReplay.
pack529holycross wrote:2. can video replay be operated independent of GPRM on a separate laptop
Yes, but someone will need to start and stop the recording, since GPRM will not be able to control RaceReplay if on another computer.
pack529holycross wrote:3. can video replay ( single instance ) be set up to run more than one POV simultaneously, for added replay effect
POV?
pack529holycross wrote:4. Is there a scenario where wifi or bluetooth could be leveraged to un-tether the actual camera(s) from the controlling laptop
Not that I know of. If there is, I would imagine it would be rather expensive.
pack529holycross wrote:1. can derby DMV be run on a separate system ( at the registration area )
Most definitely. You can share data between the two (export from one and import into the other), but there is no direct tie between the two programs.
pack529holycross wrote:2. can a system running Derby DMV transmit any updated dbase data wirelessly ( or via email ) to the system running GPRM to update management dbase
Nope. See above.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
pack529holycross
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by pack529holycross »

sorry... POV = point of view, I.E. set up two or three angles that are captured through one instance of Video Replay, OR through multiple instances of Video Replay.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

pack529holycross wrote:sorry... POV = point of view, I.E. set up two or three angles that are captured through one instance of Video Replay, OR through multiple instances of Video Replay.
Not at this time. Video processing takes a lot of CPU horsepower, so that may not be so easy to do software wise. There may be a hardware solution out there somewhere that allows switching between multiple cameras that would make that possible.

You could try running two instances of RaceReplay and use a different video source for each instance. However, you'd have to manually coordinate things. Again, CPU power may be an issue.
Randy Lisano

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Also, on camera angle. I just setup the camera at the finish, pointed up the track. I try to get the start line in the view. Cars that are fast off the start, can fade in the flat, so it is good to catch that drama.
Randy Lisano