New Best Track assemmbly

Commercial tracks.
moerules
Apprentice
Apprentice

New Best Track assemmbly

Post by moerules »

Hello all, 1st post for me have been lurking and reading for a while.After reading many of the posts our pack has bought a new Best Track 42' 6 lane track. This week the Cub master and myself are going to start assembly of it this and I was looking for any pointers on putting this all together. Like any thing you guys have noticed while assembling yours. Any do's or dont's. thanks in advance
dna1990
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: New Best Track assemmbly

Post by dna1990 »

I don't have any direct experience with a Best, and it probably goes without saying...

But the first assembly should be done slow and methodical. Have PLENTY of working room, keep the distractions down, don't get in a hurry. The folks at Best are known to be a great help, so don't force something...call and ask first. Don't over-tighten anything.

Have a plan on how/where to store the track afterwards. If you haven't thought about making a crate, I highly suggest it.
Buckeyefan
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Buckeyefan »

Moerules,
We have just finished putting together our new 42' Besttrack and there were a few things that slowed us up. Remember to slide enough bolts into the channels for the legs, the start gate handle, and the start gate sensor for the timer if you have one. We made the mistake of assembling the track fully, then having to undo the connector angles on the start and finish sections to slide in the bolts for the finish line and start sensor. Read everything (for track and timer) several times to make sure that you have the order of assembly down. It will cut down on going back and dis-assembling many of the things you have already assembled.
Also, I have a cordless screwdriver with a socket set (think NASCAR lug wrench). This was a lifesaver, I couldn't imagine using an open-ended wrench to tighten over 200 nuts and bolts on this track!
One other thing. We assembled the sections upside down on saw horses and squared them up carefully, then flipped them over and slid them together. This was much easier on my back than doing it on the floor. It was tough to get them all the way together at first, but once you get them in, its easier the next time.
The last thing I can think of is that when we tighten the start gate nuts all the way, the start gate binds against the track and doesn't open fully. For now we loosened the nuts to get it to work, but I am thinking that we may need washers under the start gate hinge to space it away from the track and allow it to work freely. I will let you know if this works. All in all, we are very pleased so far. Testing will commence after Christmas. Hope this helps.
Buckeyefan
moerules
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by moerules »

He guys Thanks for the info I am going to his house today to begin. As far as a storage box goes My father in law are going to build it next week. I wanted to get this built so I could get some measurements on what I was going to need. I downloaded the plans from Best Track for there's but some of the numbers dont make sense to me seems like the track will be thicker than the box will hold. I thank you on the cordless suggestion will go out and get mine from the van to charge before hand alond with sockets. I also like the saw horse idea as my back is in rough shape too many years of roofing!!!!! We did purchase their timer also so the forwarned info on that is appreciated. I will post back later on the progress we made today not sure how long we will be working on it being I we be at someones elses house. Again thanks. Moe
Mr. Slick
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Mr. Slick »

Take time to debur the ends of each section.

Leave the cross braces loose until connected with the nect section, and the tighten both end of the joint.

Put the pins in the section that it "Uphill" (towards the start gate) - EVEN the bottom of the curve. I recommend the use of the pins i the actual lane guides.

Give the "unpinned ends" a very slight taper on the vertical edge of the guide. This will result in a SLIGHT indent at the joint which will prevent a rail-rider from catching the edge of the next piece at the joint.

The sequence of assembly is normally, curved section first, then the flat sections, then the start section.
Mr. Slick says: Honey, I am doing this for the kids, not myself.
dna1990
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by dna1990 »

When using drill on aluminum, it is best to have one with a clutch setting...will help prevent something from stripping out.

As to the case, since you are starting fresh - consider more in the design than just 'holding' the track:

Will it be on wheels or casters, how/where will it be stored and then transported. What good heavy duty handle design for a 2 or 4 person lift. Will the box be used on-site, to maybe hold cars, act as a desk, trophy showcase, etc. Consider smaller compartments inside to hold instructions (to your next pinewood derby chairman), small parts, screws, and spare materials. Crates tend to get some rough treatmens being loaded/unloaded, so maybe best to leave timer in it own case...but cables, power supplies, projector stands, etc...Assuming it will only need some allen wrenches for future assembly, put extra of those in the case in their own 'slots' or compartments.

Does it need to be two crates, to make more managable and lighter weight? Can they be stacked when stored?

Hinge lid designs might be a bad idea, too many scout fingers waiting for that heavy lid to come down.

Back to the track itself - AFTER final assembly and you have learned all there is to know - label the joints and parts with a quality pen or similar. A to A, B to B, etc. Make it idiot-proof, as a challenge to all future idiots who try to put it together.
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

dna1990 wrote:When using drill on aluminum, it is best to have one with a clutch setting...will help prevent something from stripping out.
Are you talking about a power driver for tightening nuts and bolts? If so, you are absolutely right!

I've tried to separate two sections of Piantedosi track that some wag with a power driver seems to have cut new threads in the T-nut or the bolt. (He may even have poured some threadlock in there, too, from the feel of it.) Even with a clutch, I'd not use the power driver to start the screw or nut ... do that by hand!

Rest of your comments ... BRAVO!! All good stuff!
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
moerules
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by moerules »

Hey guys thanks for all the tips!!! We assembled it yesterday and all went well. Had a problem connecting 2 pieses of track together seemed they where not close enough together but we loosenend up a few bolts and pressed them together tighter by hand and that did the trick. We where only able to use half the straight sections due to the room in basement. Then we broke out the old derby cars from years past and raced away!!!! Hooked up the Best track timer Challenger I think its called and boy what a nice unit. Big display for sure way nice than our old one. We even hooked up to the computer to make sure everything work like it was suppose to. I cant wait for the kids and parents to see what we worked this year so hard for I think they should be impressed!!!
andylester
Merchant
Merchant

Post by andylester »

I bet those times look pretty darn impressive on such a short track!!!! :clap:
Thanks,

Andy Lester, Owner

Lester Racing - Laser Cut Gravity Car Innovation
http://www.lesterracing.net" target="_blank

Mountaineer Precision Products
http://www.mpp-models.com" target="_blank
BestTrack
Merchant
Merchant

Post by BestTrack »

Mr. Slick wrote:Put the pins in the section that it "Uphill" (towards the start gate) - EVEN the bottom of the curve.
We recommend assembling our track per the instructions in our assembly manual. We do appreciate the suggestions that are given by our customers, and if you have any questions regarding your track or timer, we are available to help you.

I am responding to the quote above because I want to emphasize that it is important that the dowel pins are tapped into the ends of all lane sections that face towards the finish line as explained in the assembly manual. (Maybe Mr. Slick & I are saying the same thing.) So they would go into the bottom end of the start section, the bottom end of the curve, etc. Our experience over the years has shown that this works best.

Have fun at your race!

Steve
BestTrack Pinewood Derby Tracks
888-582-2299 toll free
zeezop
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by zeezop »

Tracking looking good. My personal preference is to use the colored tape for the lanes; I find it adds to the overall aesthetics and the kids can refer to lane by number or color. Only caveat, if you do not want to have to change your lane colors from the default in your software check the default order before applying the tape.
Mr. Slick
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Mr. Slick »

Yes, I am meaning the same thing. Pins go into the "up hill" part at each joint of the ends so the pins will point towards the finish.

The reason being that the pins cause the track to expand very slightly and you don't want the guide rail to "bump out" causing a rough spot for rail riders. This is also the reason that you want to use the file to give a very slight taper in on the leading edge of the guide rail.
Mr. Slick says: Honey, I am doing this for the kids, not myself.
moerules
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by moerules »

well we ran our races today all I can say is what a wonderful track this is.. So easy to assemble, looks great and what smooth operation. The timer display is great and the kids where so excited when they came in today and saw the new track sitting there gleaming away.I was a little worried about the 42 foot length and having cars that would not make the distance. We had one that came up about 3 feet short and that was because of some poor wheel installation. We stopped the race for a few and I took the kids car and adjusted them a bit and it made it the rest of his 6 heats. The parents where impressed and so was I we are thinking of running more than 1 race a year so we can use this more it would be a shame to only race once a year. Thanks Steve of Best Track for delivering such a great product I will recommend this to any pack that is looking!!!