Extended Wheel Base and other random questions

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
pwrd by tungsten
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Extended Wheel Base and other random questions

Post by pwrd by tungsten »

I use axles that are 0.091 or 0.093 for non cub cars...
W Racing!!!!
doct1010
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by doct1010 »

pwrd by tungsten wrote:I use axles that are 0.091 or 0.093 for non cub cars...
AWANA? I beleive they are .092.
Kenny
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Kenny »

doct1010 wrote:
Kenny wrote:. I prefer less axle to bore clearance... ;) K
Kenny,
My #1 gripe with PW wheels/axles! We tried larger axles (AWANA best results) and inserts (successful in outlaw, but illegal in cubs) to reduce bore and tighten clearance. I even tried filling bore and redrilling, a disaster. What works for you? If closely guarded, I understand.
Thanks Doc. Some fishin' holes should remain off the map don't you think?

For the record, our Pack also requires using what comes in the box, stock BSA, with heavy restrictions on mods, and the usual prohibitions against using any kid of bearings, bushings, and commercial wheels or axles.
pwrd by tungsten
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by pwrd by tungsten »

doct1010 wrote:
pwrd by tungsten wrote:I use axles that are 0.091 or 0.093 for non cub cars...
AWANA? I beleive they are .092.
91 SGA or 93 SGA
W Racing!!!!
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

Kenny wrote:For the record, our Pack also requires using what comes in the box, stock BSA, with heavy restrictions on mods, and the usual prohibitions against using any kid of bearings, bushings, and commercial wheels or axles.
Do you (or your pack or your council) have an inspection procedure which tells how to differentiate a commercially prepped BSA wheel (such as the least altered wheels from MaxV) from a home prepped BSA wheel? Or is this a guideline akin to a "rule" like "PWD is a joint project for Cub and Parent" where a "mail in from Grandpa" is undetectable? :)
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
Kenny
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Kenny »

Stan Pope wrote: Do you (or your pack or your council) have an inspection procedure which tells how to differentiate a commercially prepped BSA wheel (such as the least altered wheels from MaxV) from a home prepped BSA wheel? Or is this a guideline akin to a "rule" like "PWD is a joint project for Cub and Parent" where a "mail in from Grandpa" is undetectable? :)
Ultimately our Pack level procedure is akin to a "trust but verify" honor system with 3 inspectors keying on weight, clearance, dimensions, wheels and axles. Truth is, a well done "stocker" mailed from Grandpa probably would pass muster. However, Scouts tend to "spill the beans" at the part where the young Scout is asked directly "Did you make this car from the kit you got from Santa in December?" (Pack "Santa" distributes the kits at the December Pack Holiday party for January workshops and races) At that point an adult usually jumps in and comes clean before we ever have to say anything. :) There is a final inspection by the "very seasoned" track team who visually scrutinize each car bound for the track about 15 mins after registration cut-off . We have no "outlaw" class, unfortunately, so if a car is DQ'd it doesn't run as the open race is based on identical rules. Nobody may handle their own car at any point from inspection to racing in order to prevent bypassing the system.

I have to say that the inspection process is much more about ensuring all cars make it down the track than about trying to expose cheaters. Most violations caught are generally of innocent origin and quickly resolved. Fortunately it is rare that we have an "accidentally on purpose" entry that must be called out :) I do appreciate the absence of silly and unenforceable rules that completely inhibit creativity and innovation. Pragmatic rules are easy to enforce. Could an eBay car slip through our system? Perhaps. FWIW: We've toyed with the idea of having a "commercial class" and others that might serve as a fund raiser for our Pack. in an effort to embrace pre-built cars and channel them productively. $5.00 entry fee for each pre-built, etc.

Our Council procedure is less formal than I'd like to be honest and I've had my suspicions about some cars in the past but I have elected to smile and let it go...

Trust me, like many others - I suspect - I have considered effective ways to quickly validate wheel size and weight along with axle diameter and material while not disturbing car setup at check-in. That I even have those thoughts makes me sad, and it probably means I've taken it too seriously.