THANKS!!!!

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
JohnB-71
Apprentice
Apprentice

THANKS!!!!

Post by JohnB-71 »

This is my oldest son's 3rd Awana's race and my youngest first race. My wife also made a car. The best finish we had in earlier years was 3rd.

With a lot of help from here.

We took 1st place in all 3 categories, and my 5 year old set the new track record. On an old wooden 32ft track. First time the owner of the track did not take first.

Thanks!!
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: THANKS!!!!

Post by Stan Pope »

JohnB-71 wrote:First time the owner of the track did not take first.
Here is where the "philosophy of openness" becomes a quandry ... if you teach them all that you know, then, with exclusive access to the track for tuning, they will almost certainly resume their dominance!
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

Stan Pope wrote:Here is where the "philosophy of openness" becomes a quandry ...
Indeed.
Stan Pope wrote:if you teach them all that you know, then, with exclusive access to the track for tuning, they will almost certainly resume their dominance!
:nod: ...if the track owner actually track tunes? It would not surprise me that the track owner has dominated for so long that he has not been bothering to advance his own woodcar performance or knowledge. That might change now that he has serious competition, and motivation to improve might even cause him to look beyond whatever John has shared.

Congratulations to you and your team John! Having knocked off the long-time champion, it wouldn't surprise me if you and your 5-year-old now hold a bit of celebrity status!
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

Awesome, Hard work pays off.

Sporty
JohnB-71
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by JohnB-71 »

Believe it or not. Nobody ask about how I did the design. The track owner did try to pickup Dylans' 5 year olds car, but dylan told him "The cars are not to be touch once they are on the table". You have to love little kids.

I did hear a comment that the boys could not have do that much. It is partially true for the little one. I gave him the wrasp or a sanding block and he would work as long as his big bub did. But, without much results. I feel that it's the time together that's important.

I will post pictures if anyone would like to see. I am very proud of my boys and wife.
rpcarpe
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by rpcarpe »

Please post pictures!
I'm always interested in other 'Bama racers.
My wife started a new support group... Widows of the Pinewood Derby.