How many Race Organizers use this forum?

General race coordinator discussions.
terryep
Merchant
Merchant

How many Race Organizers use this forum?

Post by terryep »

I know Cory and Stan are organizers, are there any more registered here in DerbyTalk?

Another question I've been wanting to ask is how many pineheads here recommend this site to their competition? :P

Terry
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: How many Race Organizers use this forum?

Post by gpraceman »

I've coordinated our Awana Grand Prix for the last five years and this year I will also coordinate our pack race (I'm a glutton for punishment :wink: )
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Darin McGrew
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Darin McGrew »

I've helped run our Shape N Race Derby for years. At times, I've been the derby chairman, but lately I've been in charge of explaining the process at the kick-off meeting and running the race itself, and others have dealt with the rest.
Den_Leader
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Den_Leader »

I was the derby chairman for our pack this year.

As far as recommending this site... I've mentioned it to everyone in our pack, and to several folks at the district races. I don't think the knowledge base on this forum should be used as a secret weapon. Much of the info gained here was shared at workshops prior to our pack race, but I saw very little of it utilized. You can bring them to the water but you can't make them drink.

I was extremely frustrated at our district race for numerous reasons, some of which were detailed in another post. However, moments after my son was eliminated, some dads' approached me to see where we had obtained the design for the rail car (I'm sure they were happy not to race Logan's car). I told them of Stans' website, and also this forum. I don't know about WIRL, Awana, Shape N Race, or others, but in Scouting I firmly believe that sharing knowledge is part of the program.

Information is not a zero sum game... If I give you a dollar, and you give me a dollar, then we each still have one dollar. If I give you an idea, and you give me an idea, then we each have two ideas.
Slow Car Disease? ~ The cure is in your hands!
MaxV
Merchant
Merchant

Post by MaxV »

I have been the coordinator for our Awana Grand Prix for about 6 years.
MathGuy
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by MathGuy »

Derby Chairmen this year, committee member the 2 years prior. My sons are in awana's also, but I will likely remain silent on that front. (I have too many balls in the air already.)
Fun for one, Fun for all.
Rob D
DR Pine
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by DR Pine »

Pack Derby chair 4 years
District derby Committee 3 years

I support Den Leaders statement share the information to all and be available to answer questions and give guidance at the workshops this has worked well at our pack level as more boys are involved and their experience is much greater. An example of this is a new single tiger cub mom and here son attended our pack workshop the previous year he took first in his rank for pack and third in rank at district. Talk about an excited young man he could not wait until this year's derby!

PS Math guy are you available we could certainly use a volunteer! :)
(I also do school night’s for the District) As a volunteer with a full plate I thought you might like the humor!
webagent99
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by webagent99 »

I was the race commissioner for an inter-pack derby.
Richard
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Richard »

I have been the organizer for our pack and district derbies for two years now. I was approached last night at our District meeting about putting on a council derby for the first time ever in our council. Thanks to Stan keeping us focused on the boys not the races though, I said no because the percentage of boys participating would be so low as compared to the number of boys in the council. I said the only way I would do that is if it was a part of a larger council event that everyone could come to and partipate in different activities. And wouldn't you know it, thirty seconds later we deciding who we needed to contact and planning for a Council Scout-O-Rama next year. We did decide to do a two district rally this May to kind of get an idea about what problems we will run into. All this time I've been complaining that the different packs needed to get together and have a Scout Show of somekind to show the boys that scouting is alot more than just their playmates at school (we live in a rural area in Missouri :shock: ), when all we had to do is dangle a higher Derby event infront of them and volunteers started coming out of the woodwork with some really good ideas for a Scout-O-Rama. :D All I can say is WOOOOO HOOOOO :!: A stronger council and more Pinewood Derby 8)
MERuhl
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by MERuhl »

I've helped organize our Awana Grand Prix the past two years. This year we successfully implemented a new race schedule, based on PPN charts I gleaned from Stan's excellent website. It went very well, and we had many compliments from parents.

I've talked several other leaders into riding down to Marietta, GA, on March 27th, to observe the NW Georgia Area-Wide Grand Prix ( see www.awanagrandprix.com ). I'm hoping to pick up some more ideas for improving our event.

I check this site regularly.
terryep
Merchant
Merchant

Post by terryep »

As a cub father I'd like to say thank you to all you guys who put in the effort for the cubs! Please never let the negatives get you down! The positives are far better.

Terry
Da Graphite Kid
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Da Graphite Kid »

Terry,

Sorry for the late reply but I to have had more than my hands full...
I have helped run, chaired or co-chaired our Pack's pinewood derby race for the last four years. Through communications with the co-chair of our District's pwd race, I hope to be involved in that race as well next year with the possibility of a Council race.

I've yet to run into any negative that can offset the enjoyment that the boys have building and racing of pinewood derby cars.

Da Graphite Kid
brownboy
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by brownboy »

I have done the electronics for our pack track, helped run our pack derby for two years, helped run mega scout show multi district race last year, will run our districts and multi district races again this year.
Sylvar
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by Sylvar »

I was on our Derby Team this year. I was in charge of getting the software written to manage the thing (Thanks for the advice Darin!). I also made all the plaques for the boys to display their cars (Thanks for the idea Stan!).
I didn't find this site until the week before the our Derby, So I didn't recommend it to anyone this year. Next year it will be on our Derby announcement handout!

Shane
MathGuy
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by MathGuy »

didn't find this site until the week before the our Derby, So I didn't recommend it to anyone this year. Next year it will be on our Derby announcement handout!
It might get too crowded here if everyone derby racer in the USA/Canada came here. IE message boards need to be smaller cozy to be effective. The admin's might have different thoughts, but here are mine.

For the masses, I would recommend some of the other PWD building tips sites and some of the great commercial sites. (Max Velocity, etc). The extreme PINEHEADS will find this forum regardless. I think the tips given in our message boards are for "extreme" PWD families. The typical "novice" family might be overwhelmed and intimidated with some of the speed tips given on this board. Do the masses want to read about how to make Snakes "Flex-Wedge"? The masses have a goal to make a simple and quality car, and really don't have the "commitment" to learn how to try craft a district champion with their child.

I would share with your Derby Committee this site. Car Tips and Secrets are one thing, but the Race Organization part of this forum, is really invaluable to running a quality event.
Fun for one, Fun for all.
Rob D