Webelos I and Webelos II

Debates and discussions on the various race scheduling methods that can be used and their fairness and accuracy in determining the winners.
pack529holycross
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Webelos I and Webelos II

Post by pack529holycross »

I have encountered some negative feedback regarding combining ALL Webelos into a Webelos Rank Division. We have been doing that for the District and Council events due to the very low participation of crossed over scouts who are now "out of" cub scouts and on to bigger and better things.

This year's event at the Pack level ( yesterday ) involved 6 "Webelos I" scouts ( out of a Den of 15 ), and 5 of 6 "Webelos II" Scouts, confirming our anticipated and expected lower levels of participation. I have explained in detail to those "concerned" about the combining of the two Dens and that Webelos is a two year program, and they are all Webelos. It is my hope that they will accept my logic on this, but I wanted some additional feedback from organizers on this subject.

Always welcome to all opinions

Nicholas
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Webelos I and Webelos II

Post by Stan Pope »

I prefer to have separate age groups, dividing the Webeos into two groups. My logic is similar to my choice to not combine the Cub Scouts (Wolf and Bear).

What I found as a Webelos Den Leader was that the 5th grad Webelos tended to be much more independent and do a lot more of the work (both the hand work and the head work) than the 4th graders did, many of whom still depended on DOD (dear old dad) for a share of it. The result was that there was a qualitative difference in the cars from the two groups. I think that is a more important consideration than the size of the groups.

In fact, considering the share of the work done by DOD for Wolf and Bear Cubs, combining those ranks makes more sense than combining the two years of Webelos. But I wouldn't do that either.
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
dna1990
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by dna1990 »

We combine as well, but with crossover in Dec and the Derby in Jan, we have traditionally had only a few come back. I tend to agree though they should not be combined. I plan to suggest next year, and returning WebII race in the sibling category.
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

dna1990 wrote:I plan to suggest next year, and returning WebII race in the sibling category.
Important distinction:
"Webelos crossed over before PWD Season" vs.
"Webelos crossed over before PWD Day".

The latter deserves to participate as a full member.
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
rpcarpe
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by rpcarpe »

Our pack has kids that cross over before the race day not race.
Kids that join before Race Day... race.
We looked ahead and found the two boys that turned 8 right before PWD season. Talked to the parents and got them in workshops well ahead of time. So far, so good.
My wife started a new support group... Widows of the Pinewood Derby.
pack290
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by pack290 »

If there are 3 or more Sr. Webelos, then we run 2 classes, if there are less than 3 Sr. Webelos, then we run a combined class. This Year we had 12 Sr. Webelos, and 10 Jr. Webelos.

Tim
Tim Benson
Cub Master Pack 290 Wauconda, Il