How good does this stuff work?

General discussions for car and semi-truck racers.
Cabrzama
Journeyman
Journeyman

How good does this stuff work?

Post by Cabrzama »

I've been re-aquanting myself with the tools that make a pinewood derby car go faster and have appreciated some of the research I read about dry vs. wet lubricants (NyOil 2).

I have two questions:
1. Has anyone had any negative experiences with NyOil 2 and wished they would have used graphite instead?

2. I am considering purchasing three tools this year (gotta stick to a budget with my two boys that are racing). Can anyone tell me if there has been any research done on the effects they have on a car's speed (similar to the lubricant research). They make common sense, but just wondering if one is more important than the other statistically/scientifically. The tools/products I am considering are:
--Pro Hub tool
--Pro Wheel shaver
--Speed Axles
DMWOOD
Pine Head
Pine Head

Re: How good does this stuff work?

Post by DMWOOD »

I have all the Pro tools. The Pro-Hub tool and Pro-Wheel Shaver both work together nicely on the wheels. Get some extra "bad" wheels and practice with them until you get use to them.

We must use the wheels and axles from the kit so I could not use the speed axles. I think it is more fun to try to do your own axles anyways. I have the Pro-Axle press to help keep the axles straight.

Anything you can do to the wheels and axles to take some of the imperfections out will help increase your speed. Remember they are just plastic wheels and nails until you turn them into racing wheels and axles.

Good Luck!
Beecher
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Beecher »

The key is, and it's been repeated on the board several times, don't use too much of it. Wipe as much off the axels and wheels as you can. If you think you don't nearly have enough, you definately have enough.

At our local, I used the Nyoil2 and lightly wiped it off the axels so they still appeared to have some on them. My sons car came in a distant 3rd. At the district level, we pulled the wheels and re-lubed. This time we wiped as much of the oil off as we could. This time the car took 2nd and beat the two cars that originally beat him be at least a car length. Nyoil is fast, but I think the better benefit is that it lasts alot longer than graphite.
JohnNC
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by JohnNC »

I have used each of the Pro tools and found them to work great. The Pro Wheel tool will take a little practice - I think there is a tendency to shave too much material. You might also want to consider the Pro Body tool for accurate hole/slot alignment, espcially if you don't have a drill press.
Cabrzama
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Cabrzama »

Is hole/slot alignment really that far off? I was considering that tool, too, but it seemed like last year our car didn't look far off at all--that's just looking it (which isn't probably the best measure).
GILLS
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by GILLS »

Cabrzama wrote:Is hole/slot alignment really that far off? I was considering that tool, too, but it seemed like last year our car didn't look far off at all--that's just looking it (which isn't probably the best measure).
I too bought the pro wheel and axle hub as well as the body allignment tool. They do work great if you dont have a good drill press. I always do the drilling first before I do any cutting on my car so that it does'nt skew the angle of the car. My son is eight and this was his 1st pwd and he mopped the floor with everyone! Never lost a heat! One month later in our Baptist assoc. Royal Ambassador race, agin he won 1st out of 72 racers! We used graphite w/molly, but I think I will try ny-oil 2 next year.