Weight Questions - Laquer

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
Ynot
Pine Head
Pine Head

Re: Weight Questions - Laquer

Post by Ynot »

Got it on the screws being at the CM. I may have a fix, yet I want to wait until after I paint to see where I land. Basically it has to do with using a DIY sticker to cover up a hole that I can add or subtract weight to.

Just as an answer, to an earlier question, our car is 3/8" thick.

THANKS for pointing out that I had old wheels. Long story short, we missed the pack meeting where they handed out new boxed kits to everyone. When we showed up at the following meeting I was handed a Zip-lock bag that had what seemed like left over parts in it. One Awana (sp?) block looked like it was a teether for a family dog and a BSA block that was a horrible cut with the pith all to one corner. It came with 4 axels and the pic'd wheels. My better half says that they were out to get me for last years win. She may be right. Now this race has become real personal!!

Off to the hobby shop and I'll get some of that putty too.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

Ynot wrote:Off to the hobby shop and I'll get some of that putty too.
Shop for some new wheels too! Here is an article that discusses how you can tell the newer wheels from the older ones. The most obvious visible changes is the use of different trademark insignia (from ™ to ®) and the inner hub is now coned.
Ynot
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by Ynot »

Just got back with a few goodies including wheels, putty and "Muffler Bandage". Are muffler bandage and muffler tape one in the same? This is what I picked up from Kragen/O'Reilly.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detai ... &ppt=C0022" target="_blank
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

Ynot wrote: Are muffler bandage and muffler tape one in the same?
:scratching: I'm not sure, but I don't think so. I was thinking 5J's was generally advocating the use of a metallic repair tape (e.g., heavy foil tape) because it is heavier than ordinary tape? That muffler bandage doesn't appear to be particularly heavy.

*5 J's*
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by *5 J's* »

FatSebastian wrote:
Ynot wrote: Are muffler bandage and muffler tape one in the same?
:scratching: I'm not sure, but I don't think so. I was thinking 5J's was generally advocating the use of a metallic repair tape (e.g., heavy foil tape) because it is heavier than ordinary tape? That muffler bandage doesn't appear to be particularly heavy.

Yes, FS is correct, aluminum tape. My apologies, not sure why we call it muffler tape in our neck of the woods. Likely the same reason why my Dad had me go to the local hardware store when I was 6 or 7 to get him a can of Weasel <urine> (WD-40). It wasn't until I was in my teens that I realized chick peas were not called "monkey nuts".

Anyway, my apologies, aluminum tape like they use on HVAC duct work is the stuff that I use.
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

ynot,
Here is web site you might give a try http://www.reflectixinc.com/basepage.asp?pageIndex=729" target="_blank
What your looking for is called foil tape.
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
*5 J's*
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by *5 J's* »

whodathunkit wrote:ynot,
Here is web site you might give a try http://www.reflectixinc.com/basepage.asp?pageIndex=729" target="_blank
What your looking for is called foil tape.
I'm not sure where I picked it up, but in our area it's a common product. If not Walmart or the local automotive store, then Lowes or Home Depot. You should be able to find a roll locally for cheap $$$.
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

*5 J's* wrote:I'm not sure where I picked it up, but in our area it's a common product. If not Walmart or the local automotive store, then Lowes or Home Depot.
:nod: It's a regular hardware store item.

We've never used it on a woodcar, but ScuberSteve recently plated an entire car (tank) with it.
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

The discussion about using metal repair tape as an adjustable ballast got me curious about how much incremental weight it adds. For me, a 9-square-inch piece of ~3 mil aluminum tape weighed in at 0.9 grams. This suggests a weight of 0.00353 ounces per square inch. To put that in perspective, a 1.75" x 1.75" square piece placed on the bottom rear would add ~0.01 ounces (0.3 grams). Covering the entire bottom (1.75" x 7") would add ~0.043 ounces (1.2 grams).

My concern with using it might be that if it came loose (even a little bit), it would add significant area to the car and hurt the speed more than it helps.
*5 J's*
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by *5 J's* »

FatSebastian wrote:The discussion about using metal repair tape as an adjustable ballast got me curious about how much incremental weight it adds. For me, a 9-square-inch piece of ~3 mil aluminum tape weighed in at 0.9 grams. This suggests a weight of 0.00353 ounces per square inch. To put that in perspective, a 1.75" x 1.75" square piece placed on the bottom rear would add ~0.01 ounces (0.3 grams). Covering the entire bottom (1.75" x 7") would add ~0.043 ounces (1.2 grams).

My concern with using it might be that if it came loose (even a little bit), it would add significant area to the car and hurt the speed more than it helps.
This stuff sticks very well.
Scubersteve
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Scubersteve »

I concur with 5J's...
it would take some effort to pull off the tape I used on my son's tank.
If you don't take your fun seriously, who will?
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

Scubersteve wrote:I concur with 5J's... it would take some effort to pull off the tape I used on my son's tank.
Good to know. Thanks. The roll I have is very old (perhaps as much as 15 - 20 years!) and may have lost much of its adhesiveness.

Of course, if it sticks too well, then it would be difficult to remove for making fine adjustments to an overweight car.
*5 J's*
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by *5 J's* »

FatSebastian wrote: Of course, if it sticks too well, then it would be difficult to remove for making fine adjustments to an overweight car.
X-acto knife ;)
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

Ynot wrote:Long story short, we missed the pack meeting where they handed out new boxed kits to everyone. When we showed up at the following meeting I was handed a Zip-lock bag that had what seemed like left over parts in it. One Awana (sp?) block looked like it was a teether for a family dog and a BSA block that was a horrible cut with the pith all to one corner. It came with 4 axels and the pic'd wheels.
Tony, you mentioned over here that you resorted to cutting your own block. Were you not able to purchase an official BSA replacement block? The wood you are using looks like it might not be pine (poplar?). Do your local rules allow for the substitution of the official block? I ask because many local rules do not allow this.
*5 J's* wrote:X-acto knife ;)
Okay (although I would never allow my young kids to use a blade that sharp!)

This also reminds me of a question for Tony: is this a boy's car for a Cub Scout race, or is it your own personal car for an adult race? Your dialogue seems peculiar in that there is little mention of Cub-Scout involvement in your correspondence so far (except perhaps "I only have two weeks to get our car finished"). :scratching:
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

what are you using for wood ? that is one heavy car ! with just a small amount of weight.

here is thin --- weight placement not bad, but not what I use anymore-

something different-

thin-

Sporty