Test & Tune

General topics of interest to racers and race coordinators alike.
RDZ
Apprentice
Apprentice

Test & Tune

Post by RDZ »

I am planning a test and tune day at our Senior RV Park with our 642 BestTrack. I thouht that I would use the timer, but take out a section of track to make it 35 ft. I think that would give the participants a chance to see their time inprove with adjustments but leave some mystery for race day - good idea or not? It was surprising that some cars didn't make it all the way down the 42 ft. track. I also made an alignment board (2' x 4') but I need some type of foam stop at the bottom - any suggestions? We held our second annual PWD in March and had 69 cars. We sold 50 BSA kits so we should have over100 entries at the next race. One good thing is that we have a lot of helpers (ex-scout leaders etc.) to run the race.

This year was my first time as race chairman and it was a blast. The last time I made a pine wood car was with my son, 42 years ago. I used most of the the tips on this board and came in first with an average time of 3.126 seconds. This year I'm shooting for a sub 3 second run in the Outlaw class. Like the Cubs, we have to build a new car each year for the Stock Class.

Rich