Has anyone run a Blastcar race yet?

General race coordinator discussions.
SoloTSi97
Journeyman
Journeyman

Has anyone run a Blastcar race yet?

Post by SoloTSi97 »

Our small troop is planning to hold our first Blastcar race next weekend. Looking for any tips anyone might care to share. We have the equipment, the boys have been working on their cars, and we figure we're going to learn a lot in the process. But, it'll be fun regardless of how it goes. :D

We plan to hold the race in the church parking lot where our troop meets. There is a large flat area for a "drag race" and a long uphill driveway where we plan to do a "gravity challenge". I tentatively plan to build some sort of track next year and introduce timing equipment, but we're going to see how things go before getting too out of control.

Thanks in advance for any tips/advice.

-Scoutmaster Bob
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Has anyone run a Blastcar race yet?

Post by whodathunkit »

Bob,
As far as tips.
Have Extra Fuel Canisters: For the Re-runs, & Extra 50# test monofilment race line.
And some spare wheels and axels on hand.
But most of all Have a Blast with the kids.
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
SoloTSi97
Journeyman
Journeyman

Re: Has anyone run a Blastcar race yet?

Post by SoloTSi97 »

Thanks! Yeah, we'll be sure to have plenty of canisters, and I have spools of 50lb mono in my fishing gear, so we have plenty there.

We are doing a dry run after our court of honor tomorrow night, so I hope to work out any big issues there. :-)

The boys have been talking about this event ever since one of our ASMs mentioned it at a meeting. They very quickly added it to the schedule of events after that and seem excited. I have to admit, as a former Cubmaster and active pinewood derby chair, I'm looking forward to it, too!

-Bob