How do I connect two usb timers to one computer

General timing system discussions.
Rfieldbuilds
Journeyman
Journeyman

How do I connect two usb timers to one computer

Post by Rfieldbuilds »

I will be assuming the race commishioner duties for our pack next year. We run two tracks and the cub master has been entering times manually from our two tracks after each race. The timer has a USB PORT that would be used to connect to the computer but race coordinator told me he didnt know how to connect both tracks to the pc to log times in each race. Does anyone have pointers. I will look into timer brand today and report that info once I know what we use. In the mean time- any ideas?
Thanks!!!

Edit... I believe it is a Fast Track timer setup.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: How do I connect two usb timers to one computer

Post by gpraceman »

Rfieldbuilds wrote:I will be assuming the race commishioner duties for our pack next year. We run two tracks and the cub master has been entering times manually from our two tracks after each race. The timer has a USB PORT that would be used to connect to the computer but race coordinator told me he didnt know how to connect both tracks to the pc to log times in each race. Does anyone have pointers. I will look into timer brand today and report that info once I know what we use. In the mean time- any ideas?

Edit... I believe it is a Fast Track timer setup.
Are you sure that your software can interface with two tracks on the same computer?
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
BallBoy
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by BallBoy »

Will you describe your race format (e.g. timers and software used)? One possible solution, though I don't think it would work, would be to use a USB hub so that the timers are connected to the computer through the same USB port. One route you might want to consider is to use two different computers then merge the race data together when the racing is done. I know GPRM has features built-in to do exactly that.
rpcarpe
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by rpcarpe »

Which timers and software are you using?

I know some software can 'combine' results and spit out the overall standings.
Manual input of times can be fraught with danger, error and wastes time. Good on you to find an automated solution.

Are your two tracks indentical? Or at least same brand and same length?
My wife started a new support group... Widows of the Pinewood Derby.
Rfieldbuilds
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Rfieldbuilds »

Im running 2four lane tracks each with the K3 fastrack timer setup. Grand Prix software R10.

Some have suggested an A/B switch for the 2 nine pin timer connections at the computer.

Any ideas?
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Rfieldbuilds wrote:Im running 2four lane tracks each with the K3 fastrack timer setup. Grand Prix software R10.
GPRM was not designed to interface with two timing systems at the same time. Best to run two separate computers. You can network them together to share a data file; otherwise, you can use the data file merge feature after racing is done to combine two data files.
Randy Lisano

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Rfieldbuilds
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Rfieldbuilds »

Would this be a possibility in the R13 software revision?
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Rfieldbuilds wrote:Would this be a possibility in the R13 software revision?
Sorry, but no. Trying to manage two tracks at the same time will vastly increase the complexity of the software and very few users run multiple tracks. Better to just use two computers.
Randy Lisano